DIY CD "scratch doctor"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nordic, there already are a few places on the web that advertise
their mail-in repair services.

However, If anyone is interested, I'd encourage you to ship entire
CD collections to us at..

Vacant Lot, Blvd E
Newark, New Jersey

We will inspect for damage and get back to you with an estimate.

Another Pledge-like fix

I wanted to rip a CD with a skip. Window MP gave me track line-item error messages on the skipping tracks. I thought I might mess up the disc, but it was already skipping so I went for a fix that I had wondered about for a while: I put a small amount of plastic protectant (in this case STP "Son of a Gun", like "Armorall") on it, and carefully wiped it off. It worked well enough to rip the cd. I have not tried playing it on my cd player.

A local video store had a fancy machine to remove scratches, so I let them use it on a problematic CD. Result: much worse, so I bought a better ccondition CD on eBay.

In the past I successfully flame-polished out scratches using a butane torch on a couple of CDs and got error-free rips. Another attempt resulted in a completely unplayable cracked disc, though.

CD's are made from polycarbonate, the same type of material I make (typical featherweight) eyeglass lenses from. It is too soft for any sort of regular use due to scratching- you can scratch raw polycarbonate with your fingernail. So scratch resistant coatings were developed to make it usable.

I would expect a fine auto polish to work well in removing fine scratches, we use a thin aluminum oxide slurry to polish them after a few minutes of wet ~1000 grit fining. Deep scratches will take a two-step fine sand and polish, and more time.

Once any of this is done, however, you have lost the protective anti-scratch coating and the surface will be much more susceptible to damage. I would burn a spare copy first thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.