surround preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey I have been considering adding surround to my system for a while now, but I have been unable to decide how I want to do it. My DVD player, a Pioneer Elite unit with ok sound, though not great, has a built in surround decoder. I'm sure the quality isn't the best, but I have to imagine it isnt bad given the decoders it uses are the same as in many highend recievers.

My thoughts were that I could build a preamp for 6 channels using a 6 gang control of some sort and 6 channels of buffers or preamp cards. I need recomendations for the volume control and preamp moduls. I have a BOSOZ card I never turned into a preamp I could use for the two main channels maybe. I could buy two more, but those were expensive, so I thought maybe of using some sort of cheaper buffer, like the ones mentioned on forums for the Chip amps. Decible Dungeon I believe had one. For a volume control, all I could find was the Dact discrete controls, which would be great, but they are expensive, about 250 each. I remember reading about others that were available, but could not find them actually for sale.

How about the Alps, dont they even have a moterized version for use with a remote. Anyone who can help me find the right parts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Surround Volume Control

I often want to make quick changes to my listening volume.
For 5.1 surround I would want 6 channels. 5.1 seems to be the standard Dolby surround.
(Center, Woofer, Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left)

I understand that there are circuits for Voltage Controlled Amplifiers (VCA). Getting the parts together would be a big chore. Making my own PC board very difficult. I haven't found a PC board or kit just for this purpose. Stereo chips would have matched gains but the gains of individual chips might vary.

I am thinking of two options.

The only ganged volume control I could find is the:
ALPS RK16816MGA04 6 ganged-unit motorized - resistance taper 3B
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsEGgLEzQVydlSdX4alOWNT88aHyh7%2bLBc=
Pricing (USD) 1: $9.91

Another option:
http://www.canakit.com/advanced-stereo-tone-control-kit-ck146-uk146.html
CanaKit CK146 Advanced Stereo Tone Control $26.97. This escapade would require (3) for a total of $80.91. The gain of both channels is controlled by a single voltage divider pot. Why not let that voltage control the gain of two other boards. The idea would be to not install the pot on two boards. Then strap the center tap of the remaining pot to where the center taps of the other pots would have been installed. Any difference in gain would be corrected by the volume controls on my amplifiers.
For my intentions: I would only do the volume controls because I would like to have the individual controls for balance, treble, and bass remain independent.

Any suggestions?

Thank-you,
Russell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.