Dutch DIY audio day announcement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I'm still doubting whether I should, as I've been to a few audio meetings before. In my case there's always the risk of getting into a few discussions with audiophiles that have no engineering background. That's not only prone to give me a headache from having to explain over and over again the simple basics of cables, capacitors, tube and transistor amplifiers etc. but will likely not make me any new 'audiofriends' if I debunk their latest purchases. So I'm undecided still...

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

SSassen said:
I'm still doubting whether I should, as I've been to a few audio meetings before. In my case there's always the risk of getting into a few discussions with audiophiles that have no engineering background. That's not only prone to give me a headache from having to explain over and over again the simple basics of cables, capacitors, tube and transistor amplifiers etc. but will likely not make me any new 'audiofriends' if I debunk their latest purchases. So I'm undecided still...

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Hi Sander

There will be engineers too

cheers (and see you there ?)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Guido?

In the frequency spectrum speaker and interlink cables are used, which typically is 10Hz...40KHz, the only parameters that are in effect are R, C and L per meter/foot, or whatever unit of length you want to use. All other parameters do not have a measurable effect on the signal distributed through the cable and certainly are not audible. But feel free to PM me with some counter arguments, I'm up for a bit of discussion.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

SSassen said:
Guido?

In the frequency spectrum speaker and interlink cables are used, which typically is 10Hz...40KHz, the only parameters that are in effect are R, C and L per meter/foot, or whatever unit of length you want to use. All other parameters do not have a measurable effect on the signal distributed through the cable and certainly are not audible. But feel free to PM me with some counter arguments, I'm up for a bit of discussion.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

I have a colleague who has a note in his office

"assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups"

meet you in Zutphen for discussion

cheers

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Guido,

The only properties of loudspeaker cables that are important to their performance in the audio frequency range include:

1. Their series resistance (R), dictated by the crosssection of the cable, the purity of the copper used and the length of the cable.

2. Their characteristic impedance (Z), dictated by the series inductance and parallel capacitance per unit length.

3. Their loss resistance (Rl), dictated by skin-effect losses versus frequency, and dielectric losses versus frequency.

4. Their capacitance (C), dictated by the distance between two cable conductors carrying an opposite charge and their respective surface areas and the dielectric constant of the insulation used.

5. Their inductance (L), dictated by the series inductance per unit length.

All of which are neglectable if you use proper speaker cables, and hardly measurable to have an effect, but certainly not audible.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

I am an digital/dsp engineer my self and studied analog electronics. So i think you're in the midst of engineers like your self.

grtz

Simon

SSassen said:
Guido,

The only properties of loudspeaker cables that are important to their performance in the audio frequency range include:

1. Their series resistance (R), dictated by the crosssection of the cable, the purity of the copper used and the length of the cable.

2. Their characteristic impedance (Z), dictated by the series inductance and parallel capacitance per unit length.

3. Their loss resistance (Rl), dictated by skin-effect losses versus frequency, and dielectric losses versus frequency.

4. Their capacitance (C), dictated by the distance between two cable conductors carrying an opposite charge and their respective surface areas and the dielectric constant of the insulation used.

5. Their inductance (L), dictated by the series inductance per unit length.

All of which are neglectable if you use proper speaker cables, and hardly measurable to have an effect, but certainly not audible.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

dear Sander,

I am well aware of conductor properties

best regards,

engineers?

As far as I am concerned being an engineer (or having an engineering background) means that you apply knowledge to improve the world we are living in. It is not about exposing what we do know or not know, but how to use the knowledge we have (or there is) to make steps ahead, sometimes quantumleaps.

I will make an effort to be there, to listen, to learn, to improve and it and it is always nice to have a discussion or an argument as long as it is not about being right or wrong.

E&E

As far as I am concerned being an engineer (or having an engineering background) means that you apply knowledge to improve the world we are living in. It is not about exposing what we do know or not know, but how to use the knowledge we have (or there is) to make steps ahead, sometimes quantumleaps.

Bravo!

I've had too many discussions with engineers were I had to explain that sinus wave in versus exact sinus wave (amplified) out does not mean you have built a good sounding amp. Or tell them that a digital interconnect CAN make a difference. I just get a blank look and I see them thinking..this guy is a moron.

Engineering means to me that these guys can build the same thing I can build economically. For instance...I can build a bridge...a very strong bridge...but I won't know beforehand how much weight the bridge can handle. An engineer should be able to build that bridge cheaper and faster and will know beforehand exactly how much weight it can handle.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Bas,

You're approaching this from the wrong angle, cables and electronics are governed by the laws of physics, how else would we be able to calculate their behavior? Hence there's nothing mythical or magical about them.

You being able to put something together that works, or even works very well is probably due to the fact you're knowledgable about what you do, either by experience, or extensive trail and error. An engineer usually doesn't want to over-engineer something hence he calculates beforehand what will happen so as to not waste any time or budget.

Cable behavior and the electronics used in audio-video products has been precisely mathematically modelled for the past 50-years, and there's no way around the math or physics, unless you'd like to state that 1 + 1 = 3, which you'll agree it isn't.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

You're approaching this from the wrong angle, cables and electronics are governed by the laws of physics, how else would we be able to calculate their behavior? Hence there's nothing mythical or magical about them.

Hi Sander,

I'm not arguing with your theory on cables. The only thing I would like to say is that I THINK cables make a difference. My speaker cables are woven CAT5..I THINK they sound a lot better than the cheap monster cable I had before. Maybe you think I am delusional, that is fine with me...

What I did want to say is that there are more ways to skin a cat...

Cheers,
Bas

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Bas,

True, but I'm not saying you should hook your speakers up with telephone cord, good quality (hence not overpriced) speaker cable is all you need. Whether that's generic 2x2.5mm^2 lamp cord or 2x2.5mm^2 pure OFC silver stranded cable brand X is up to you, I'm just saying that in a double blind test, and by measuring them, these cables will be identical. So why pay absurd prices if there's no measurable or audible difference?

Ps. I told you I always get into these kind of discussions, and look where we're at now.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Guido et al,

Ik heb besloten om ook maar een buizen eind versterker mee te nemen naar de DDIY dag. Het is een stereo single-ended EL84 met een volledig electronisch geregelde voeding en zobel netwerk op de uitgangstrafo's. Uiteraard speelt deze versterker niet erg hard, slechts 2x 3-watt maximaal, maar ik denk dat je verrast zal zijn door de eenvoud van de opbouw van het versterker gedeelte. De voeding is echter wel aardig complex, met buizengelijkrichter, veel onstoring, etc.

Deze versterker is gebouwd in 1993, ik was toen nog student op het Gymnasium en toen al bezig met hifi. Ik heb later nog veel meer versterkers gebouwd, maar deze zijn helaas allemaal weer verkocht. Al mijn courante ontwerpen, oa. een tweetal subwoofers, zijn dusdanig zwaar, of ingebouwd dat ik deze helaas niet mee kan nemen.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Sander Sassen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.