Starting a HiFi business

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been thinking of starting a HiFi business for many years. My background is electrical engineering, but for the last 5 years my job is selling electrical components to OEM’s.
With all the technical and commercial knowledge that I have now, I feel it should be possible to start a company , probably producing amplifiers or speakers.
I know some of the members here are having some kind of business, and of course, we all know Nelson Pass.

If possible I would like to hear about the experiences of the people here who started a HiFi company.

Joko,

As a sales manager I also see starting companiess that fail. People who think that they will get rich easily.

On the other hand, most high end manufacturers are small.
Most of them will not be very proffesional.

Serious hifi is not rocket science. Technology will not be the problem.
The main challange will be funding, marketing and get it in the shops. In Europe CE can be managed quite easy.
In the USA, UL will be a pain. They are bureaucratic and cost you money for every audit they do.

Also producing at a decent price will be a challenge.
From what I know, a product that costs $100 to make, will cost $500 in the shop, as distributors and shops want to make money as well.

But I'm willing to learn from all the stories, so shoot...
My email: casejansen@hotmail.com

Thank you

Kees,
Did you start your hifi business and how is it doing? I am interested in doing the same and wonder if you will share your stories.
Hope you noticed the thread is 15 years old.
Hope Kees succeeded, but in any case the game is completely different today.
And description was a bit vague ... what do you mean by " a Hi Fi Business"?
Manufacturing, reselling commercial products .... ?
Please describe your goals and means so as to be able to discuss properly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.