Sansui audio gear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, i stripped my JHL'95 today as i'm getting finished with the rebuild and needed parts; so i borrowed my dad's Sansui AU-117 integrated pre/power amplifier until it's done to listen in my bedroom. He bought it with a matching radio receiver and tape deck a long while ago, and it's, IIRC, a 30Wx2 class AB amplifier.

Now, i always thought it was a fairly nice little amp, but i've noticed that, as long as you don't fiddle with the high filter nor the loudness switches, it actually sounds pretty nice. My JLH sounds *MUCH* better in the bass area, but still, interesting.
So, i'm now interested in more (old) Sansui gear, which i hear it's avaiable second hand for cheap usually, to build a small audio rig, modifying it probably. Does anyone have opinions or histories with that brand? There's little that can be found on Google.

Don’t some of those have STK chip amps in them?

I have an old Techniques amp of 70's vintage that I pull out and put into service whenever every thing else has failed.

Every time I pull it I out I surprised at how good it sounds. Much better than it should.

I suspect you’re very right about the tone controls. They are likely more a marketing feature than an audio feature.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.