diyAudio and Piracy issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

2) Why does Peter Daniel still have access to the moderators forum, even though he no longer is a moderator?

Because it allows him to check what PM was sent through the forum, to whom, by whom, even what it says?

Off the wall?
Not if you'd carefully check my mailbox and the subsequent posts made by PD....Most of which are now conveniently deleted of course.
It's not as if people don't have memories but who cares about that anyway??

Now MalichiConstant, could you pls. be so kind as to use my e-mail address next time instead of using the forums' e-mail services?
Big Brother is watching you.....:rolleyes: 1984...XX anni post datum.

See ya all in Tejas, ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
fdegrove said:
Because it allows him to check what PM was sent through the forum, to whom, by whom, even what it says?

Mods don't have access to the PM sent thru the system, the Warp Engineer might, but i don't think it is stored anywhere so you don't have to worry Frank.

Typically mods that have retired, retain access to the mod areas, because their input is valued... they usually have to do something drastic to lose it.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Funding DIY?????

Jocko,

Mods are choosen because they have shown that they have a fairly even temperment, are fairly knowledgable, and it usually turns out that they spend a lot of time on the board (so since they are around anyway why not have them help out), so they are most likely to have a high number of posts (14 of the top 20 posters are mods, were mods, declined an invitation to be a mod, or said outright they didn't have the temperment), and are likely to be pegged to head a group buy (just because they are around so much)... still as far as group buys go, mods have headed few of them.

No mod has ever been asked by the mods to create or run a group buy... some have been "encouraged" by the membership to make one happen.

and yes diyAudio now has to be concerned with $$$ because it is self-supporting now. If the cost of the server & the traffic aren't paid then there is no place to go. So far this year, Lumenlab's sponsorship and generous donations have kept us going -- 2 group buys (neither involving mods) have contributed significant amounts. You will see the Audio Vendors Bazaar going live any day now, where paid advertising will be allowed, and shortly after that the Beg-a-Thon will emerge from its underground status.

With the effort of those out of the way (mods have day jobs too), we can start working on a few other things -- including the advisory consul you suggested to me.

dave

Hey Variac......

I'll tell you what........

You start your own audio business, and me and my buddies will spend all of our spare time doing to your business that some of the "Top Twenty Posters" do to us.......behind the scenes......and we'll see how long it takes for you to threaten to come to Texas and shove your fist down my throat.

Until then.......don't jump to conclusions that you know little about.

This thread is about piracy, and some of the biggest offenders are mods.

Jocko

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sorry for the OT but this only takes a sec:

but i don't think it is stored anywhere so you don't have to worry Frank.

I'd rather expect the server to store the messages for at least a short while but never mind.

Not that I worry about it but I did find it rather odd to see a response from Peter regarding a message from Fred to me in private after Fred's (mis)reading a reply from me to Thorsten...._Are you still with me?_ In a nuttshell: Fred misread my response and Peter second guessed and anticipated Fred's reaction without any other means than mere telepathy. Very strange....

All of which is now rather academic since Peter removed his comments using editorial power only a moderator is supposed to have; namely deleting his own post(s) well past the lapse of time that goes by for the mail-notifier to broadcast the posting of a reply.

Typically mods that have retired, retain access to the mod areas, because their input is valued... they usually have to do something drastic to lose it.

I can see your POV but it can get confusing this way, see my comment above.

After rereading the bits and pieces from last night that have been partially sent to Texas, partially split up, not much of it has retained a logical sequence making it nigh impossible to follow for someone that hasn't been keeping track closely.

All this being said I still can't help but notice alot of S/N and energy going places where it shouldn't go lately.
I can only hope to be able to chalk it up to growing pains.

After all the dust has settled down and all the new items have been fully installed we'll all look forward to enjoy a better forum than it ever was....I know I do.

Regarding the posting of the by now world reknowned Jamtoonies: I think we've been there before on one other occasion where the netresult was: the toons are copyrighted by the artist as a drawing, not where they're shown or what serves as a placeholder for them.
So for as long as they're not tampered with both diyaudio.com and the poster should be legally safe.
At least that's how I understand the legal intricacies anyway.

Cheers,;)

Do all of you conspiracy theorists live your life with the same level of paranoia you exhibit here?

Again, there is no need for any of you to "warn" the rest of us regarding the motives you assign to a third party. You cannot know another person's motives; your judgement may be wrong.

You have no choice but to use your judgement to protect yourself, but no one else need know about it.

Egomaniacs and profiteers always eventually out themselves. Make your judgement and let others do the same without influence or interference.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
From suspicious to sureal

"Jocko,

Mods are choosen because they have shown that they have a fairly even temperment, are fairly knowledgable, and it usually turns out that they spend a lot of time on the board."

You know I was going to get out this middle of this farce figuring most of it to be spin control for the chaos created by the well known member who just can't remain silent after at least 50 suggestions that it would be in his best interest to just be quiet instead of making things constantly worse for himself. Now the moderators have do spin control to counter the effects of the spin control of our most frequent poster.

Is spending alot of time on the forum a good qualification for being a moderator? Well with nearly eight post a day I think you guys need to get Peter back as a moderator right away.....

As for the qualifications of fairly knowlegable and even tempered:
I think you are just throwing broad humor at us to break up the tension.......... When I think about these qualifications and look back to the tenure of GR and PD as moderators ( who both left in a huff over how things were run) I can only howl with laughter. At least Per-Anders is actually even tempered and knows Ohm's law.

We all know money is an issue and are aware of the methods that other forums use to raise it. Would some paid advertising and a membership fee really be that unexeptable? There seems no acountability as to actual operating cost or how much the group buys are bringing in. All I see is the guy you think is going to generate so much money for the forum, telling us how he is not really making any money with his activities here. He yet he has enough time and interest to make nearly 8 post a day. The Mother Teresa of DIYAudio. As for the claims of making no money and accounting for how much is raised via group buys....... the guys at Enron had a more convincing story than the seeming top secret plan for the finances of this forum. Yes you need money to run the forum but how long do you think the guys you are trusting to generate it are going to help fund it in the light of such questionable ethics. I think people are starting to wise up alot faster than you think and it is time to look at plan B. Not to many people are bying plan A at this point......... :whazzat:

Worrying about Jam posting cartoons is a good one...... to be even tiny blip on the radar screen compared to the Jumbo jets
of questionable actions flying around here, he would have to be erasing the copyright, signing his name at bottom, and telling everyone that he drew them. Search for a smear like that after the dozens he as posted without comment from the moderators is an act of desperation. You know what they say: Timing is everything.

Long Live Jamtoonies!!

Originally posted by fdegrove Regarding the posting of the by now world reknowned Jamtoonies: ... the toons are copyrighted by the artist as a drawing, not where they're shown or what serves as a placeholder for them. So for as long as they're not tampered with both diyaudio.com and the poster should be legally safe. At least that's how I understand the legal intricacies anyway.

If I can, without forever tarnishing my reputation, pipe in here wearing my lawyer hat, Frank is essentially right, at least so far as North American copyright law is concerned. Copyrighted works can be used under a fair use exception which says, in essence: if one uses a small part of someone's work non-competitively to benefit the public, the person fits the fair use exception. Hey, who can seriously argue that the infamous Jamtoonies don't benefit the public?!

I have no opinion on the whole gain clone thing, but the copyright issue is one that strikes near and dear to my heart as an author.
Assuming that cartoonists' rights run anything like authors' it is not sufficient to have a copyright mark on the work. Nor is it sufficient to have the author's name. If they (the holder of the coyright, which may be the cartoonist, their agent, their estate, etc.) haven't given permission (presumed to be in return for money, but sometimes not), then it isn't legal.
The point about fair use and using only a small part of it isn't relevant because you're getting the entire work in the case of a single frame cartoon.

Grey

GRollins said:
The point about fair use and using only a small part of it isn't relevant because you're getting the entire work in the case of a single frame cartoon.

Grey, you're oversimplifying. Gary Larsen has created thousands of single frame cartoons (plural), all of which comprise his "work" (singular). Apart from that, how does Jam's Jamtoon postings reduce the value of a given cartoon? Seems to me, in at least some instances, if not most, a cartoonist's works, and the cartoonist's reputation, are enhanced by others seeing their works? Many a musical artist has argued this very point in favour of internet downloading. The musik kompanies, however, don't agree. No surprise.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:

:scratch:

I don’t know why the thread is divided from the original to here. My post was about “ethics” in general, not specifically to one person or another. But, since one moderator named one person specifically and wanted to hear my confirmation, I gave him it as an example.

Shall we name? Here we have few commercial people, including Nelson Pass and John Curl. But, they know the basic ethic and etiquette they have to maintain. They know what they should say in the DIY forum and what should not. For example, they do not compare their products with others at least in this forum. They do not declare the sounds of their commercial products are good or better at least in this forum. They don’t have narcissism with their products at least inside this forum. They try to respect this forum as an amateur DIY community, and try to help DIYer’s demands. If they earn any thing by doing this, it is purely a side income, not direct income.

Meanwhile, some members ignore basic ethic and etiquette. Not only that, but also they ignite people’s potential envy (if you say so) that everybody commonly has at certain different degrees. Then, they start to receive firing of nasty words back on them, and bull-fights start.

Often I wonder whether moderators see this kind of thing, but I believe they see very clearly because they are selected persons. If they miss, they are in bed or doing something else.

jh6you said:

They know what they should say in the DIY forum and what should not. For example, they do not compare their products with others at least in this forum. They do not declare the sounds of their commercial products are good or better at least in this forum. They don’t have narcissism with their products at least inside this forum. They try to respect this forum as an amateur DIY community, and try to help DIYer’s demands. If they earn any thing by doing this, it is purely a side income, not direct income.

I am not really a commercial person, at least not in a sense those two guys could be regarded. Majority of the products I present on this forum are my personal endeavours, built for personal use only. They are not any different from other members projects. Being an enthusiasm and diy builder, I should have the right to express my opinion on the sound of what I built, especially if it might be of interest to other members.

I never compared the sound of my two commercial amps (AMP1 and monoblocks) with others (on this forum). I expressed an opinion on someone elses design only once, but it was compared against non commercial amp, an amp that I built as one off, personal unit. I did it, because I was asked for that opinion.

I also try to respect this forum as an amateur DIY community, and try to help DIYer’s demands. If I earn anything by doing this, it is purely a side income, not direct income. My direct income comes from selling my two commercial amps (and preamp), and as far as I'm aware, I'm not doing it through this forum.

I might also speculate that I ignited your potential envy. I didn't expected it, as you were always despising chip amps.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Please keep continue to go through the right way, keeping ethics. It would be respected. But, when number of people disagrees with you, I hope you will show them you are sincerely considering it.

I am envious of many things, but not envious of your things. ;)
I have my own profession, totally different from yours. :)

I am envious of a man $$$$$$$$-won in a lottery.
I am envious of a man $$$$$$$$-won in the last one swing.
I am envious of a man having more than 5 wives with more than 5 houses.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.