diyAudio and Piracy issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jam
I hope I can be worthy of these boards, I see your point- you are trying to bring me into the real world of electronics, not just a Gaincloner (tm) The point is that Nelson says the boards are fine, but Fred is still accusing Grey of ripping off Pass. You are being tarred by your associates it seems. Actually he is now attacking people commenting on the new First Watt amps, even though Pass is right there corresponding with them. Apparently he thinks that Nelson is too stupid or too much a pushover to protect his own interests.

One defense of posted schematics are that they are infact related to the purposes of the forum- yours are less defensible in this way...

Now I really am confused.....

Signoro Variac:

Are you passing up my suggestion? Don't you believe that DIY is a passionate thing?? I got the impression that you did.

If I read your reply properly......are you trying to suggest that I am "Phred"? C'mon.....I have enough problems with incontinence......I don't need any help making my knickers any wetter. Thank you very much..........

As for me doing it.........

Well.......I tend to be a fascist. Yes, I could do it. However, making someone who has an audio business, that at the present time that is not DIY oriented, also reeks of conflict of interest. Exactly the type of thing that must be avoided.

Jocko

Variac,

Are you saying that because it is related it is suddenly ok................methinks not.

It's about time you got out of that GainClone stuff and build a real amplifier. As stated the boards are legal and as to what Fred had to say about please reads the original thread.

Regards,
Jam

P.S. If need any help with the amp, or parts please get in contact with me.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jocko:
Whoops! Actually I am pretty convinced that you are your own entity ;) . I can only imagine how painful it must be to falsely accused of being "Fredly" . I'm sorry. :bawling:

In fact I believe that you are sincere in your points (not that it matters to you what I think, I assume and hope..) and your proposal makes sense.

Honestly I will no doubt fall into being a guy who gets deeper into DIY Audio helper stuff such as group buys, ie I will have less of a life other than DIY Audio. In fact I would reallly love to be the guy you described. Sadly I spent October through December on a murder jury that I was arrogant enough to believe I could do as well as keep my clients happy- I am only now coming out of the acute stress , depression and excuse making that I have had to deal with due to the time I spent on that. Being on the jury was amazingly an huge education in human nature , the legal system (not all bad!!), etc. (plus I need to get the new crossovers on my Basszillas finished:D ) or I will be accused on not being a real DIYer. Next is to finish my Son o Zen - not an AX yet..

Group buys revisited.....

Let's look at this another way.........

The mods ahve lives outside of DIY. They do a job that can be messy for nowt.

So we do they have to shoulder the burden of finding ways to fund DIY, too?

Why can't we have a governing body...with maybe the top mods....and handful of non-mod "fanatics", who are charges with coming up with fill the coffers.

Relieves the mods of stuff they probably don't have time for..........eliminates that conflict of interest thing that bugs a lot of us. Seems to make sense.

So........why not start with a "Czar of All Group Buys"????

Someone who is not a mod........passionate.........maybe with some degree of business acumen.

And most importantly:

No commercial interests of any kind, and therefore no conflict of interest.

Well, guys...........whhaddya think??? It's your forum.....tell them what you think.

I have.......your turn for a while.

(Variac says he is too busy........Millwood apparently hasn't read this yet, and since he posts more than I thought, he may not be such a screwball pick. Besides, anyone who can't stand MikeK as much as him can't be all bad, right???

How 'bout keticwizard??? He posts a lot......an ok guy from what little that I have seen. There has to be someone in the Top 40 up to the challenge.)

Jocko

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Group buys revisited.....

Jocko Homo said:
The mods ahve lives outside of DIY. They do a job that can be messy for nowt.

So we do they have to shoulder the burden of finding ways to fund DIY, too?

Why can't we have a governing body...with maybe the top mods....and handful of non-mod "fanatics", who are charges with coming up with fill the coffers.

Relieves the mods of stuff they probably don't have time for..........eliminates that conflict of interest thing that bugs a lot of us. Seems to make sense.

So........why not start with a "Czar of All Group Buys"????

Jocko suggested this same idea in private mail, and i personally think it is a very good idea... looking at the top 50 posters, this is essentially the 1000 post club. A chairman/czar could be elected (or volleenter(sp)) from the group. There should also, no doubt, be "a vote someone off the island" clause in the charter.

dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So, to build on my previous comments, perhaps one of your new leaders should be a person that one can publically post a letter to stating why there is a person that is behaving unethically and stating your case. Others could add their supporting info.

Honestly, there is finally about one statement now making sense as a legit complaint, but why begin with such lame accusations? It seems like there is pretty much one accusation of merit, then people try to make up more incidents to prove how "bad" the person is.

The added accusations and lame conspiracy theories, don't support the accusation, they make the whole lot of accusers look like idiots. Then they assure us some person who has left the forum has confided in them by e-mail that they left because of some offense by another member..... blah blah

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Confused as a barking bird

" Seriously, why don't you do it Fred? Maybe you would Kvetch less then. After all you are the one that sees the problem as so serious. I actually think your idea is a good one, but you have the answer in your own question- no one wants to do it."

Because Fred is not the one who made the suggestion........ and there do seem to be other people who want to do such things, judging by the number of group buys in the past. I would suggest Peter since he has stated his dedication to the support of the site. The problem is that shipping stuff to Canada is like dealing with a third world country with the customs delays and headaches.

You know there is a really easy solution. There are plenty people who are selling kits successfully. All one has to do is make it financially attractive, fair as far as equal privileges regarding the use of the forum, and sell some advertising space, and have some accountability about operating cost for the forum and the actual contributions to them from those hall such a free reign in use of the forum. The problem now is that the expectations for level of quality for kits puts them in realm of being attractive for people who do make a living build audio boards are unwilling to give that much work away. Why share ideas that are more likely to be of benefit to ones competitors than to the forum?

On the other hand, favoritism to any one person in use of the forum, limits any chance of selling advertising and attracting designs from other people. Who wants to buy advertising or showcase ideas on the forum when certain individuals get not only the benefits of free advertising, but the use of a mouthpiece to badmouth other peoples ideas and products. All this with no repercussions, and with the clear intent of promoting his own products at the expense of everyone else's. When you put your hopes on a very few people at the exclusion of dozens of others, you better be very certain about the qualifications, ethics, and motivations of those people. There seems be a great interest shown in taking the chip amp designs to a new level but the guys that put forth ideas have been attacked repeatedly by someone who has a vested interest in keeping it from happening, for financial concerns concerning is own products. This interest will spawn commercial development of products independent of the forum the money that advertising and a level playing field that would bring. money to support It seems to me that the leadership of the forum put all their eggs in one basket as far as funding the forum and picked an incredibly flimsy basket. It is going to be very difficult to put the toothpaste back in the tube after letting things go this far after months of warning and protest about direction in which this was heading.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
thumbing my nose at You Know Who

Let us sing from the 47th Calypsos from the Books of Bonokon ......

Papa Monzano, he's so very bad
But without bad "Papa" I would be so sad;
Because without "Papa's" badness,
Tell me, if you would,
How could wicked old Bokonon
Ever, ever look good?

Lionel Boyd Johnson

Just think of my presence as dynamic tension to balanced the wicked with the good ..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.