Technics SA-GX350 Overload

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm new here, and need some help...

I have a Technics AV Receiver, model SA-GX350, that's causing me so much grief. From cold start, the receiver would work for 5-10 minutes, then shuts down (turns itself off) and hibernates (stays off) for about the same amount of time. Then comes back to life again! On... Off..., On... Off... The length of time sometimes varies, but the cycle continus as long as the receiver is plugged, and you don't switch it off when it comes on. When this happens, a tiny red light in panel marked "Overload" comes on briefly in conjunction with a couple of relay clicks.

Has anybody ever experienced this? Would someone please comment. Thanks...

-Dan

I found a few references on the web about a similar problem with Technics AV receivers using the SVI power module like mine. Most of the problems are heat related. It shuts off by itself as a self protection, caused by the fan that doesn't come on at a certain (1/4) volume level. It goes into an overload state.

But I don't run my receiver loud and hard! I'ts just a bedside receiver that's barely audible when I listen to my Mantovani, Percy Faith CD's.

The front end of this receiver is so nice, I'm thinking of bypassing the Power Amlifier section and connect it instead to my other amplifier, like what this Guy did.

http://www.colp.ca/projects_technicspreamp.html

Thanks for your reply, Guy's

-Dan

overload fix

I was having this problem on mine. Very frustrating. I had read that overheating was a common problem on these. I didn't care to analyze it in depth as I had only $5 in it. I mounted 3 used computer fans on top of the case with hot glue. I wired it to a salvaged 700ma 12v power supply (AC adapter). 200ma did not spin the fans fast enough. I also just bought a manual on eBay so I will be able to troubleshoot more if I want/need to. I left the original fan in place as it does work. This is not my main system so I don't care about the looks. Fans are a little noisy but not too bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.