High pitched electrical noise

Hi,

dunno if i'm posting this in the right forum, sorry if it's the wrong place.

here's my problem;
I've got this strange high pitched sound randomly coming out of any guitar/bass amps i use in my studio, with or without an instrument plugged into it.

Anybody recognize this kind of parasite and know what to do against it ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• AMP NOISE.mp4
    47.8 KB
It's curious that the frequency of the tone measures around 3.15kHz, which is a frequency used to testing wow & flutter and also to set speed for tape decks and turntables. 3.15kHz mixed with 15kHz is used to test intermodulation distortion.

Is someone else in the building possibly using these test tones? I recently heard test tones bleeding through during live radio broadcasting and assumed that someone was testing some gear in the studio racks that wasn't in the system signal chain, but somehow was cross-talking into it.

I am curious there is significant buzz/hum in your sample. Where is that coming from? If you eliminate that buzz you may well reduce or eliminate other interferences bleeding into your amps as well. What are the conditions of your setup? What amps are you using? Is there a guitar lead plugged in when you get the tone? Is the amp plugged into a DI or any other piece of mains powered equipment? Try to establish whether the tone is injected by EMI (wirelessly), crosstalk (possibly a ground loop), or injection through the power lead (try power outlets on different circuits).

My current experience is limited. Decades ago I worked in entertainment venues and one of my responsibilities was procuring the musical amps and larger instruments for touring acts. However just recently my partner has started playing guitar so I have acquired a couple of amps and a few guitars. None of our amps combinations produces the buzzy/hum noise in your sample track, they are to all intensive purposes silent with or without instruments connected. I've made guitar leads with Canare GS6 cable and Neutrik "Silent" NP2X jacks on the guitar end which allows the instrument to be swapped without noise as well as preventing an unterminated lead feeding EMI into an amp. In my experience noise is optional and usually the result of poor design, either of the amp or lead, or poor or attention to detail in the system interconnections where there are multiple devices connected.

The way to troubleshoot a system is to start with the most basic amp/speaker and nothing else connected. That state is the system's noise floor and it should be effectively silent. Add one additional item at a time and solve any degradation in the noise floor before adding another item.

Thanks for your replies !

First of all, it doesn't come from cellphones and no one in the building is running any kind of test tones.
But thanks for popping this up as a possible cause !

I will run tests with everything shut off, powering things one at a time like Rayma said,
but as there's quite a lot of things in the house and the problem being intermittent and totally random, i just wanted to know if anybody recognized this kind of parasite right away.

If anybody has another idea, i'm still reading :)