Acoustic engineering help. Please.

I I am usually in the full range section of DIY audio. I live in Florida so it would be great if someone had some knowledge of Florida statutes involving acoustical engineering. I have lived in my home for five years for approximately 3 1/2 years it was quiet noise free living. Then someone decided to update or upgrade the aerators in a nearby water reclamation plant. They replace the old tape blowers with a newer high speed gear driven turbo charged unit and it turns on and off every half hour to 45 minutes 24 hours a day seven days a week. It is driving me absolutely crazy. Along with a few other residents that live here. I appear to have standing waves in certain rooms of my home that generate up to 58 dB A weighted inside my home with the windows closed. I have complained about it for at least a year now and they said there’s nothing I can do about it. I believe that somewhere there Has to be some kind of law that says that you cannot put these type units in a residential area. Because it has been an intermittent problem code enforcement keeps telling me that they come out there when it’s not running but I don’t think they are coming out at all to listen to it. If anyone knows if it is written down anywhere that this is in some sort of a violation of one kind or another please let me know. It is driving me crazy. Thank you.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m trying to the housing market is ridiculous right now I can’t afford anything. I’m just hoping there’s an easier way. I did read in some blower manufacturer white papers that when they sell you one of these units they are supposed to update the blower house that it is Placed in. They didn’t even put inlets and what they did was they tore off the front of a second story wall facing my home. And they turned it into a giant Helmholtz resonator.

Yes ty epicyclic. They are the same ordinance that is in my county which is Pasco county in Florida. They go one step further and say that noise can be determined as 10 dB A weighted above ambient. The ambient sound level inside my house after 11 PM is probably around 20 dB a weighted. But when the blower motors come on he goes to approximately 58 dB inside one room of my house. And round 45 in the kitchen area and around 40 dB where I sleep. The problem is is trying to get code enforcement to come out to measure it. They say that they come out when the pump isn’t running. First of all they blew me off completely thinking that I was a municipal or near or a municipal water treatment center when the real estate investment trust that I rent from owns it. I am going to check into permitting. It seems that they would’ve had to pull a permit to change a large piece of equipment. That’s kind of what I was hoping to find out about from an expert on here. I know there are acoustic engineers that frequent do it yourself audio. For me to hire an expert witness that is a acoustic engineer would probably cost about $700 an hour. I can’t afford that. I talk to an attorney and they said the burden of proof is on me to prove that it is out of the code specs. I guess I have to just keep trying. That article said that the enforcement officers have zero training in acoustics so I am thinking that it would be very easily thrown out of court. I have to do some thing it is driving me crazy. Thank you for responding.

Last edited: