Anyone know where to find this product..special remote control

I am looking for a remote volume control for my preamp which already has a remote volume control. Huh?

What I am looking for is rotary volume control that can control the volume control on my preamp which already is operated via IR. Ideally this would be a learning type. The reason I am looking for this is that I am tired of pressing buttons up and down and want to turn a knob. I am sure many face this same dilemna we would prefer to use a rotary knob.

I think the creative one would simply get a knob from a broken receiver and use an Arduino circuit and then build it from there. I am looking for a ready made solution.

My dream would come true if this remove would fit in my hand and made from metal. It needs to be solid with a decent metal knob or something that operates smoothly and feels good.

In the old days my Laserdisc player had a remote control with a jogging function.....yeah something like that.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe someone can design and make one?

A few ways - or possibilities

You could use a rotary encoder and translate to up or down and then send this code via infra red - it would turn infiintely i.e. have no hard stops

ALPS make these and an Arduino (or less) would pick up the rotation and direction

Or maybe use a a centre spring loaded rotary switch (or create one) that you simply biased one way or the other to operate , which again you'd pick up that anticlock or clock switch and use that to signal to send the up and down codes. - this would only bias a few degrees clock or anticlock.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
The Ikea Symfonisk remote knob is inexpensive and does what you want, but unfortunately is tied to the proprietary Sonos protocol. To my knowledge, this is the only low-cost solutions on the market today; no universal programmable IR remote controls with a knob are available. That's surprising, because it is a trivial circuit and there is a market need.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Ikea "alternative" I have not tried one but the packaging is interesting if it can be reused. The mechanical work and precise finishing is mandatory with a remote. It has to feel and look decent.
I see two ways to go about this. Once can build a translation box that sits in between the Ikea remote and intended preamp. Another is to gut if if possible and reuse the mechanical pieces.
I'll have to try one out at my Ikea store.

For sure i will need to go because it is only $14.99 CAD. The mechanical part, if it can be reused...is well worth it.
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/search/products/?q=symfonisk remote

Last edited:
I read some reviews for the Ikea remote and it appears from the text, it would likely not meet the "Feel" aspect.
However some more digging has yielded a gameplan.
How to make Universal Remote Controller for all Devices - YouTube
I had acquired an Arduino kit so this will force me to learn programming it.
I need now to acquire a Rotary Encoder for the volume know and learn how it works. All prior knowledge of Volume was via potentiometers so this is something new for me.

Winter Project.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
If microcontroller programming is a option, I'd start with a commercial USB Volume Control Knob. They are readily available and some have good build quality. If your remote's IR protocol is standard (or easy to decode), a first prototype could be made quickly.

Sony made some "remote commander" wired remotes for car decks and portable music players. They're a sort of joystick with switches that respond to push, pull, and twist depending on the model. Some, like the RM-MC25C are knobs with twist for forward/back and a pause/play button in the middle. Most encode the switches using resistors so it puts out a different resistance (or voltage) for each action. An Arduino could interpret that resistance or be wired directly to the switches and send appropriate IR codes. Or, you could just run wires to the appropriate traces on an appropriate remote control.
I'm tempted to suggest a centre-off rocker switch, like the power window switch from a car, but you can get that from a Logitech Harmony remote, so never mind. That could be an interim step while you search for the perfect rotary switch.

Consider salvaging the tuning or volume controls from old car radios. Some used a spring-loaded twist switch. Same action as a momentary center-off toggle or rocker switch, except CCW-off-CW.
Searching for Alpine rotary switch eventually leads me to "Self-return switch", under Encoders:
EC11 Series - Basic information
or this one which includes a push switch as well (for toggling Mute or Pause?)
EC11 Series - Basic information
About $15 Canadian from Mouser (plus shipping), but searching Aliexpress for EC1110120005 finds several vendors. I ordered two for $6 including shipping:
2PCS/LOT Imported ALPS alpine EC1110120005 with cap encoder with switch without stepping axle 13.5MM|alpine|switch - AliExpress

The ALPS encoders arrived from Aliexpress: the description is correct, but it isn't the right part number. They rotate continuously with no detents, and have a push switch, which sounds like the Alps EC11M1575403. I can probably make it work with Arduino anyway.