Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Anyone know where to find this product..special remote control
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2021, 08:01 PM   #11
Mikett is offline Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

I read some reviews for the Ikea remote and it appears from the text, it would likely not meet the "Feel" aspect.
However some more digging has yielded a gameplan.
How to make Universal Remote Controller for all Devices - YouTube
I had acquired an Arduino kit so this will force me to learn programming it.
I need now to acquire a Rotary Encoder for the volume know and learn how it works. All prior knowledge of Volume was via potentiometers so this is something new for me.

Winter Project.
Old 13th October 2021, 08:16 PM   #12
Awh is online now Awh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Mikett, I think this might be what you're after:

GB query interest for RemoteDial

Andy
Old 13th October 2021, 08:52 PM   #13
Mikett is offline Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thank You.
Late Bird comes up empty.
Old 13th October 2021, 11:12 PM   #14
pcan is offline pcan  Italy
diyAudio Member

If microcontroller programming is a option, I'd start with a commercial USB Volume Control Knob. They are readily available and some have good build quality. If your remote's IR protocol is standard (or easy to decode), a first prototype could be made quickly.
Old 23rd October 2021, 03:45 AM   #15
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sony made some "remote commander" wired remotes for car decks and portable music players. They're a sort of joystick with switches that respond to push, pull, and twist depending on the model. Some, like the RM-MC25C are knobs with twist for forward/back and a pause/play button in the middle. Most encode the switches using resistors so it puts out a different resistance (or voltage) for each action. An Arduino could interpret that resistance or be wired directly to the switches and send appropriate IR codes. Or, you could just run wires to the appropriate traces on an appropriate remote control.
I'm tempted to suggest a centre-off rocker switch, like the power window switch from a car, but you can get that from a Logitech Harmony remote, so never mind. That could be an interim step while you search for the perfect rotary switch.
Old 23rd October 2021, 08:35 AM   #16
MikePP is offline MikePP
diyAudio Member

Here's an example rotary encoder I was talking about earlier

No end stop obviously, but used in thousands on products as 'volume controls'

EC16B242040R | Alps Alpine 24 Pulse Incremental Mechanical Rotary Encoder with a 6 mm Flat Shaft, Through Hole | RS Components

Easily get an arduino to scan that and translate
Old 24th October 2021, 02:16 AM   #17
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Consider salvaging the tuning or volume controls from old car radios. Some used a spring-loaded twist switch. Same action as a momentary center-off toggle or rocker switch, except CCW-off-CW.
Searching for Alpine rotary switch eventually leads me to "Self-return switch", under Encoders:
EC11 Series - Basic information
or this one which includes a push switch as well (for toggling Mute or Pause?)
EC11 Series - Basic information
About $15 Canadian from Mouser (plus shipping), but searching Aliexpress for EC1110120005 finds several vendors. I ordered two for $6 including shipping:
2PCS/LOT Imported ALPS alpine EC1110120005 with cap encoder with switch without stepping axle 13.5MM|alpine|switch - AliExpress
  Reply to this post

Anyone know where to find this product..special remote controlHide this!Advertise here!