Pitch Sensitivity

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I'm also curious if others can detect pitch variations of various parts of the audio band, and just how much of a variation is detectable at a given frequency.
Does the detection level vary?
Is there a specific area of the audio band that is more detectable over other areas?

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Well, I think it's been established that ~ 3KHz is where the ear is most sensitive. Wow & flutter is usually measured at 3150 Hz.

Usually....
But among different people is what I'm trying to get at.
Plus, a W/F is a "moving" fluctuating sound.
My question is about a static tone range...... when do you hear the difference.

Are some more prone to changes over others, specifically members on here, and what their findings come up with.

Most here would have a signal generator, or if not, the online apps.
A few minutes to sit and listen, note their findings, and add to the thread.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nobody is going to read old paper....

I'm also curious if others can detect pitch variations of various parts of the audio band, and just how much of a variation is detectable at a given frequency. Does the detection level vary? Is there a specific area of the audio band that is more detectable over other areas?

See? This stuff is all in books yet even "old" people won't check the literature. Yet this stuff has been checked over and over again. This what profs did to keep their grad assistants busy and generating papers to not-perish.

Attachments

• MGtA.gif
    MGtA.gif
    125.8 KB · Views: 74
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I just tried this using a 1000Hz and 1001Hz files created in Audacity. The tones were low level and replayed via laptop speakers which would be ideal for that frequency.

Both files loaded into Foobar and an ABX test done. Surprised myself with that one tbh :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-07 182806.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-07 182806.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 70
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Back in the seventies I would set recorder speeds by matching a music source.

Having some warranty work done by Nakamichi on Long Island, I asked them to check the speed, they said I was within new specs, at the edge of repair spec.

Don't recall the numbers.

I do recall that low notes were harder to match, but complex passages were the easiest, standard 400hz & 1khz were okay, but not as easy as complex music.

In my youth I sang in a chamber choir directed by a conductor with perfect pitch. That was a lesson! He heard everything, every voice and forced us to try to sing perfectly (You there in the baritone, higher pitch!). But it was a nice feeling when four to eight different voices sang a perfect chord and kept the piece in tune (pitch) from beginning to end. Beautiful harmonies created. I once analyzed a recording using Fourier transform on a few chords at the end of a song. I noticed a strong tone, stronger than the tenor, alto or whichever was nearby and looked at the score. It wasn't there, it was a strong overtone created by the voices together.