Batteries switch over

Hi to u all. I'm a handicapped fellow and as such I use an electric tricycle for my displacements. At first the batteries gave a healthy 64 volts output which was fine to run long distances but over time and several charges, the output have now settle to a 50.5 volts fully charged and is not enough for further ventures. I intend to replace the batteries set with new but I also want to include another set on board the vehicle which can be switched into operation as the primary ones failed along the way. Do someone know about an electrical circuit that can do this job by the use of of a single switch? Any ideas welcome. Awaiting your brilliant ideas. Thanks

Can put 2 SSR, with a toggle change over switch to change the active battery.
Or contactors.
But two sets of batteries would add to the weight, maybe something is wrong...what battery (set of cells) gives 64 Volts fully charged?
I mean, it is not Lead Acid or Lithium, those are multiples of 2.2 and 3.7 per cell respectively.

If the charger is labeled 48v but puts out and unregulated voltage the batteries are more than likely sla's or nicd's, and the charger is just listed as 48v to say it's meant to charge 4 12v sla's or 40 nicds. Sla's are charged regularly to 13+( 14+ if not sealed) volts, nicds (nominal 1.2) are charged easily to 1.6 or so, which could be where the 64v is coming from. Although, it's still short a few volts if only 4 sla's. Sla's and nicds are fairly forgiving chemistries when it comes to charging, nimh less so and lion forget about it.

As far as your project is concerned if you can fit the extra batteries MikePP's solution is good and simple.

He is in Mauritius, about the highest he can go is 5 feet above sea level, on level land.
Think Florida Keys weather, much hotter, 40 Celsius.
Most likely the series connection in the battery has corroded. Battery age in cycles or years is not given.

SLA you need 2.4 per cell and up for charging, the nominal full charge is 2.35, and flat is 2.1...
NiCd IIRC 1.35 per cell.
And the charger voltage (and current) depend on the internal resistance and charge level of the battery. So his recording itself is wrong.

Marine switch, SSR, generator change over contactors are all fine.
But why use two sets of batteries? A bigger one is a better solution in my opinion. Unless he is thinking of a swap type system, one in use and the other charging.

If the batteries are indeed lead-acid, a 64-volt nameplate rating indicates it has (32) 2-volt cells in series. If the charger is rated at only 48-volts, it will never properly charge this battery, which explains why the batteries are being “fully charged” to only 50-some volts. A proper 64-volt charger (which puts out closer to 72-75 volts) is required. 64-volt battery chargers are very rare and quite expensive: I’ve done some searching for such an item for locomotive battery charging. 64-volts is a common starting battery voltage on locomotives.

We need more solid information on both the batteries and the charger. Photos of both items' nameplates would help immensely.

Batteries are usually in multiples of 6 or 12V for SLA chemistry, the use is an electric wheelchair, which anybody can use, a locomotive is operated by trained people.
For that purpose, a group of 4 batteries, 7 to 15 Ah each in series would be OK, the higher voltage means a smaller motor can be used.

The OP has not come back, sometimes I feel our effort and time are wasted.