Have Software Giants Become Beggars?

I have noticed...

the tabs coloring has become non contrasting and they want you to download skins...and what not
After every few days, the software has to be updated
and only update you see is the ads and useless features
Hope you get what I mean

gajanan phadte

Sounds like desperation to me. I picked up a working Chromebook for $10 at a thrift (Charged it by soldered wire, as it didnt come with that part) and all I noticed was that it seemed to be an advertising machine.

I tried to play a few songs from "youtube music". I was like, you've got to be kidding. They must figure ordinary folks are all used to being Comcast customers, so they'll put up with it.

It does have a giant battery (10 hrs, supposedly) and it's only worth $50 on ebay. Cant be used to run Linux, as it's too new. I'll keep it as a vacation computer, to toss in the car for travel internet access - if someone swipes it, so what? No big loss...

Yes the ads are terrible. They're colossally stupid too. They're still trying to sell me Buicks and Russian mail-order brides. No joke. Who thinks of this stuff?

I stream National Public Radio (WBGO in Newark, NJ is my favorite :) ) a lot. Much better music, and no ads! Sometimes I listen to FM radio, especially a couple of music shows I like. The ads are terrible! What really gets me is when I'm listening to some nice jazz, then the commercial comes on and it's techno music 20 frikkin decibels louder than the radio programming. Really? You're going to make me lunge for my volume control and mute your stupid ad? Whose bright idea is that? Don't radio stations have actual people with minds at the controls any more?

This is not about ads but pop ups that has no provision for the command you want, e.g. don't update. A popup will appear that has to be cancelled after switching on every time (QuickHeal)
You associate your pdf with non microsoft browser but it will be updated to it's software.
Most of the time, the system wants to update...why.

I have even observed, it dis-allows other browser one or two times.
server not found and such.

On the android, I have observed youtube...you are offline.
If you want user should purchase the facility, make it paid only.

gajanan phadte

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The curse of online dependancy and subscription models :)

Worse is that one pays in various ways ... to receive advertisements. Often advertisements of things one already searched for and bought. Who needs a second Buick or a third Russian mail-order bride (2 is OK, dividing tasks)? Absolutely terrible where things are heading. What I noticed here on the local radio is that traffic news is now read with way too loud background music making it difficult to understand. Why?

Last edited:
The funny thing is that I don't even like Buicks. My last two cars were Subarus. They're just stereotyping me by age. Buicks are painted the same colors they paint coffins so they market them to geezers. It's like you're driving your coffin before you croak. It doesn't add up for me but hey I'm not one of those marketing egghead types.

2021-buick-envision-avenir.webp