Samsung curved screen TV

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
May 2017 - Purchased new
Sept 2017 - Screen panel replaced under warranty - Strange distortions
Early 2018 - Screen panel replaced under warranty - Lights at bottom looks like candles
May 2021 - Extended warranty expires
Sept 2021 - Partial back light failure - dark band to the right of centre (attached image)

Apparently Samsung doesn't make curved screens anymore.

Purchased Sony Full Array LED. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...4Uat1tL3pqeHsjzUXuYaAmNFEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 193
When they were released, curved screen TVs looked like a message from their manufacturers "We have no idea how to convince you to buy a new TV so we invented something you don`t actually need".

I never got what the idea with these was - to work you had to sit very close and in my opinion such screen had to be enormous. However, most I have seen were small and looked very awkward on the wall...

I'm reminded of seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey when it was released in 1968.

I saw it in Cinerama, which utilised a deeply curved screen.

Surround sound was included too.

All in all, it was a fantastic futuristic experience for the time!

Attachments

• Curved Cinerama Screen.jpg
    Curved Cinerama Screen.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 187
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Cal, and others....
You've no idea HOW MANY Samsung's I've had through the years in the repair shop.... an ENORMOUS amount of them.
They always, year after year.... TOPPED the list of what came through the door.
Most, right after warranty ran out.
With all sorts of problems.... you name it.
2nd place was the Philips and LG's.
And yes, I've worked on just about EVERY brand over the decades.
When you spend your professional life in a repair shop like the one I was at, you get to know what's worth it, and what's not.

Wanna know the brand that RARELY ever came in?
Panasonic Viera's.
Sometimes maybe 1 or 2 a year would come in, and a delight to service on top of that.

And that's what I bought when I went shopping around, of course.
A tv repairman, if he's smart, will naturally go for the most reliable brand.
Bought my Viera LED flatscreen in April 2014.
Never had a problem with it!.... great picture.

And the same goes for every one of my friends who took my advice and bought one.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The modularity of modern flat screens makes home repair easy. My cheapy (bought used) LG now sports a sony panel (only 2 factorys make the panels anyway) after an ex put a poker in it. whilst I was getting that fixed I bought another second hand model for £100 that had a backlight issue. When the main board failed on one (BGA issue) I made one good one out the two as power supplies etc are common parts between models.

SWMBO has banned any more repairs on this TV :)

Cal, and others....Wanna know the brand that RARELY ever came in? Panasonic Viera's.
Sometimes maybe 1 or 2 a year would come in, and a delight to service on top of that
A tv repairman, if he's smart, will naturally go for the most reliable brand.
Here, we agree!

Ours is a Panasonic Viera. It's actually a 3D model so that dates it to a decade ago!

It was never used it for 3D viewing by the way - it was bought because to my wife it looked nice and to me it was a Panasonic!

I wish to dang it would break down cos I want a larger screen! :D

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Here's some earlier information from a year ago:

Who makes Panasonic TVs | Tab-tv

In 2020, Panasonic TVs were manufactured in Russia, Turkey, Czech Republic, Mexico, Malaysia and India.

It's a big world out there! :)

Neverthless, regardless of place of manufacture, Panasonic has led many other brands for strict Quality Control and design, for decades now.
Simply put, they don't mess around, they want to secure the reputation and reliability that they're known for.

And since no one manufacturer is "perfect", they did make a mistake a while back, which was soon rectified. (they learned a lesson)

Their Technics CD players were outsourced to china.... and many began to malfunction, raising eyebrows of the company.
They pulled that mess pretty quickly - lost revenue due to paying for warranty repairs and tarnished reputation is not something they want to happen.
This was told to me by a Panasonic Rep at my shop, and of course it makes sense.

Yes, we saw those sick CD players starting to come in, and wondered what was going on.

Samsung products, on the other hand, I wouldn't invest in that crap.
I've dealt with lousy, attitude-filled tech/customer service from them for years.
Plus the plethora of class action lawsuits and homeowner damage would turn anybody off.

But you won't hear about this, naturally.... you have to dig for it.
I subscribed to a nationwide professional servicers website (pay site only certified licensed techs could join), on which we techs traded info on there about our experiences, plus shared service tips.

I could tell you some stories!