Does a quality amplifier/source/etc only matter for certain genres of music?

I have heard it said, by some, that unless you're listening to jazz or classical, you don't really need finally tuned gear at all. Certainly speakers are important, but that 5W SET tube amp won't mean a thing when you listen to Pink Floyd, or Led Zeplin, or god forbid, *electronic music*.

I guess their take is that there isn't enough subtlety, enough "air", for the nuances of the equipment to make a difference. That the "distortion level" of the music masks that of the amplifier.

I do think some music is more subtle than others, and that subtlety makes apparent the strengths or weaknesses of ones gear. But I'm not sure I'd go beyond that.

I'd say no. Everything sounds better with better equipment.

What recording is so pure that the distortion level of the DAC / Phono cart - amp - speaker chain masks that purity? I think its more about the recording than the genre and I'm sure great recordings exist in all genres.

There's a song I love by Vince Guaraldi. I think the only studio recording of it is distorted at the outset. So much so that my attention is split between loving the song / hating the recording. Some guy makes a mistake and its set in stone forever. Maybe one day AI will be able to go in and correct just the distortion in the piano part...

Last edited:
...but that 5W SET tube amp won't mean a thing when you listen to Pink Floyd, or Led Zeplin, or god forbid, *electronic music*...

My main system is a 5W SET tube amp paired with fullrange speakers and a sub. I really enjoy the subtle details it brings out in electronic music, things you just don't hear on a typical consumer grade system. Punk rock as well, The Cramps and Misfits never sounded so good to me.

I have a Robert Johnson CD.
Sounds crap on my hi-fi.
Listenable on a crappy boom box.

Rather like watching one of those old b/w TV programs rediscovered on somebodies home recording on a modern HD large screen vs old small screen.
You can't reveal what's not there!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I've got some stuff that does sound better in the car than on the main rig, but that's a very small fraction of a percent.

But a lot of it depends HOW you listen. Different people want different things from their aural fix so the answer to the question will depend.

One of my go to demo tracks for a stereo is Motorhead's 'killed by death'. If you can listen into the mix on that track you have a good system.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have heard it said, by some, that unless you're listening to jazz or classical, you don't really need finally tuned gear at all. Certainly speakers are important, but that 5W SET tube amp won't mean a thing when you listen to Pink Floyd, or Led Zeplin, or god forbid, *electronic music*.

If you have good source material, no matter the genre, losing as little of the information supplied getting out to your ear is still critical.

Now one might be able to, in a general sense, assign a quality metris to recordings of certain genre. Jazz and classical also tend to be recorded in situations where there is less electonic manipulation, and simplier in terms of process.

dave

Joined 2019
Paid Member
If YOU like the music and it is recorded well a good system will sound good to you. If you do not like the music it will not sound good to you regardless of the playback system. Had many chances to experiment with this premise over ten years of selling HIFI. The hard part is the development of listening skills on the part of the end user. Takes time with good equipment to develop listening skills and not everyone invests that time.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
If the recording allows, in my experience, yes. Like has been mentioned some recordings do not.

Some customers allowed me to educate them a little. Often when asked to play music on a surround system for them, I would sit them in front of a system that imaged very well in stereo and play a well recorded piece. Without fail they would say that was the best "surround" system they had ever heard. When I would tell them there was no surround sound just really good equipment, it would open all the right discussions about the value of quality stuff.

Without fail they would say that was the best "surround" system they had ever heard

This is something I discovered after tweaking my system for years. One day I was listening to a live recording that I had listened to for over 40 years. There was the illusion that I was in the arena, sitting in the audience. Sounds were coming from next to me and behind me. I was literally startled; I thought there was someone in the room with me.

I had never heard a surround system provide this ambiance. It always sounded like there were speakers behind me. :)

This was after spending weeks tweaking the passive crossover on my 8" two ways. It was worth the hard work.