RCA connections

How do you test if you have a problem with one of your RCA connection. I had an issue with no sound coming from the left speaker so I changed RCA cables and magic the left channel was singing magic again, but I thought if it didn't work I would not have known how to check the RCA connection.

Here's some additional information on testing RCA interconnects using a multimeter:

Set your multimeter to a resistance (ohms or Ω) scale.

Test continuity between the centre pin at one end of the cable and the centre pin at the other end. The meter should read zero ohms. If it does not, there is a break in the centre conductor

Repeat for the outer ground shields at each end of the cable. Again the reading should be zero ohms.

Finally, test between centre pin and ground shield at one end of the cable. The reading should not be zero ohms! If it is zero ohms, there is a short between the centre conductor and the ground shield.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I made a quick and easy simple RCA cable tester.
Used a small meter, a 1.5 volt AA cell, a resistor, switch, and a pair of RCA panel mount jacks - in a small project case.
Ya plug each end of the RCA cable into the set of jacks, flip the switch, and wiggle/flex the cable around some, while watching the meter.
If the meter stays at "0", good cable.
If it jumps at all, or goes full scale - bad cable, trash bin it.

Yes, a plug in cable tester is a great idea - quick and easy to use!

Inexpensive commercial ones are available if aalewis wants to avoid the diy route.

The attached one costs just £15.

Attachments

• Cable Tester.jpg
    Cable Tester.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 128
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I made a quick and easy simple RCA cable tester.
Used a small meter, a 1.5 volt AA cell, a resistor, switch, and a pair of RCA panel mount jacks - in a small project case.
Ya plug each end of the RCA cable into the set of jacks, flip the switch, and wiggle/flex the cable around some, while watching the meter.
If the meter stays at "0", good cable.
If it jumps at all, or goes full scale - bad cable, trash bin it.

I stopped reading after "a small meter" :)

Pin to pin and GND to GND. Both should be approx. 0 Ohm.