Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Speaker upgrade, how significant?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2021, 04:18 AM   #1
Mulburg is offline Mulburg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker upgrade, how significant?

I realize this is a difficult and crazy question.

My only system is an ACA 1.8, Bottlehead Moreplay preamp, iPhone and Klipsch RP 600M speakers. I built the amp and preamp because I wanted a fun project and I found out I really like the way they sound, even if itís just with my iPhone. I got the speakers because of online reviews and the recent sale klipsch had.

All else remaining equal, would swapping in a pair of Klipsch Forte IVs make a substantial difference? Is this a Chevy volt to a Corvette, or a Honda Civic to a slightly more optioned Honda Civic? All analogies welcome.
Old 8th September 2021, 05:15 AM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hard for me to get excited anout any Klipsch speakers.

How about building your own?

dave
Old 8th September 2021, 06:58 AM   #3
5th element is online now 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulburg View Post
I realize this is a difficult and crazy question.

My only system is an ACA 1.8, Bottlehead Moreplay preamp, iPhone and Klipsch RP 600M speakers. I built the amp and preamp because I wanted a fun project and I found out I really like the way they sound, even if itís just with my iPhone. I got the speakers because of online reviews and the recent sale klipsch had.

All else remaining equal, would swapping in a pair of Klipsch Forte IVs make a substantial difference? Is this a Chevy volt to a Corvette, or a Honda Civic to a slightly more optioned Honda Civic? All analogies welcome.
Hold on you're asking if going from a small stand mount to a rather large three way floor stander would make a substantial difference? Absolutely.

Lots more bass, much lower power compression, much higher sensitivity so will play much louder for the same power. Will naturally go much louder with much lower distortion too.

But one speaker is ideally for a small room and the other a really big one. The 600M measure well over at stereophile and have excellent off axis performance too. There's nothing wrong with them except for the broad dip at 1.5kHz and that they could sound light on the bass. A decent subwoofer, or two, and a high pass on the 600Ms would make for a substantial improvement in my opinion.
Old 8th September 2021, 04:27 PM   #4
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Speaker quality makes huge difference in sound quality when room acoustics is also well taken care. So yes, upgrade it but don't forget the importance of room acoustics because you can put the best speakers in poor room acoustics and they will sound poor.
Old 8th September 2021, 04:39 PM   #5
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The Klipsch Forte IV has a 300 mm woofer and a rear-facing 380 mm passive radiator.

You're gonna need a bigger room!
Old 8th September 2021, 04:54 PM   #6
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Not certain about that, the little speaker possibly has wider directivity.
Old 8th September 2021, 05:21 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Do keep in mind that the loudspeakers impedance will also need to be lept in mind, given the highish Rout, even more so if you move to monobloks.

I have not seen a measured impedance curve of any (stock) Klipsch that is not have an ugly impedance curve. You want something with a fairly flat impedance.

dave
Old 8th September 2021, 05:33 PM   #8
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I have a pair of Forte's with a regular Onkyo HT receiver in a 280 ft^2 room and they perform well. A lot better than the ones you have now I expect.
Old 8th September 2021, 07:48 PM   #9
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I have not seen a measured impedance curve of any (stock) Klipsch that is not have an ugly impedance curve. You want something with a fairly flat impedance.
Without defining what ugly impedance curve is and how it relates to actual audible traits, what you stated doesn't help.
Old 8th September 2021, 07:56 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

How ugly an impedance curve depends on the amplifiers Rout.

Here the Forte III which would be considered ugluy if your amp is an ACA.

Click the image to open in full size.

You may believe that any amplifier with highish Rout is broken.

dave

Speaker upgrade, how significant?Hide this!Advertise here!