Speaker upgrade, how significant?

I realize this is a difficult and crazy question.

My only system is an ACA 1.8, Bottlehead Moreplay preamp, iPhone and Klipsch RP 600M speakers. I built the amp and preamp because I wanted a fun project and I found out I really like the way they sound, even if it’s just with my iPhone. I got the speakers because of online reviews and the recent sale klipsch had.

All else remaining equal, would swapping in a pair of Klipsch Forte IVs make a substantial difference? Is this a Chevy volt to a Corvette, or a Honda Civic to a slightly more optioned Honda Civic? All analogies welcome.

I realize this is a difficult and crazy question.

My only system is an ACA 1.8, Bottlehead Moreplay preamp, iPhone and Klipsch RP 600M speakers. I built the amp and preamp because I wanted a fun project and I found out I really like the way they sound, even if it’s just with my iPhone. I got the speakers because of online reviews and the recent sale klipsch had.

All else remaining equal, would swapping in a pair of Klipsch Forte IVs make a substantial difference? Is this a Chevy volt to a Corvette, or a Honda Civic to a slightly more optioned Honda Civic? All analogies welcome.

Hold on you're asking if going from a small stand mount to a rather large three way floor stander would make a substantial difference? Absolutely.

Lots more bass, much lower power compression, much higher sensitivity so will play much louder for the same power. Will naturally go much louder with much lower distortion too.

But one speaker is ideally for a small room and the other a really big one. The 600M measure well over at stereophile and have excellent off axis performance too. There's nothing wrong with them except for the broad dip at 1.5kHz and that they could sound light on the bass. A decent subwoofer, or two, and a high pass on the 600Ms would make for a substantial improvement in my opinion.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do keep in mind that the loudspeakers impedance will also need to be lept in mind, given the highish Rout, even more so if you move to monobloks.

I have not seen a measured impedance curve of any (stock) Klipsch that is not have an ugly impedance curve. You want something with a fairly flat impedance.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How ugly an impedance curve depends on the amplifiers Rout.

Here the Forte III which would be considered ugluy if your amp is an ACA.

719KF3-fig1.jpg

You may believe that any amplifier with highish Rout is broken.

dave

With a high Rout part of the impedance curve is convolved with the FR. So in the example i showed you would see some peaking between 1.5-6 KHz and some added roughness elsewhere.

Crites has XO that fix the impedance of some Klipsch, LaScala, maybe Forte

dave
Only speculations. :(
You would've had to hear it in side by side comparison to "prettier" impedance curve of same type of speaker drivers if audibility evaluation is to be made.

I thought it was one of KEF's tricks to make the speaker impedance appear as "resistive" as possible, so the amp doesnt have to drive some whacky load. According to them, their speakers (as such) make your amp sound better by making it not have to work so hard to compensate.

If you look at some KEF crossovers, there's elements in there that all they do is help to flatten the impedance as seen by the amplifier. This is nothing new...like a "Zobel" for the amp.