Those pesky Abbreviations!

To make things more confusing, US gallon doesn't equal an Imperial gallon.

Try the ton, short (907kg), metric (1000kg) and long (1016kg). All three are used in the USA for different purposes and by different organizations.
Most widely used is the short ton but naval ships are measured in long tons, grain production in metric tons. Apparently all refer to them simply as 'tons'.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Try the ton, short (907kg), metric (1000kg) and long (1016kg)

I thought a metric ton was defined as the weight of a cubic meter of water at 4°C?

This is straight from Wikipedia, so it must be true (regarding air conditioning) :
terms of "tons of refrigeration," with each approximately equal to the cooling power of one short ton (2,000 pounds (910 kg) of ice melting in a 24-hour period. The value is equal to 12,000 BTUIT per hour, or 3,517 watts.

Where mho is Ohm in reverse to indicate what the rest of the world calls Siemens. "mho" is according the SI an "unaccepted special name for an SI unit".

Mho and the inverted omega should be banished once and for all. Conductance is measured in Siemens, which is abbreviated with a capital S. Not to be confused with seconds, which is abbreviated with a lower case s.

Don't get me started on propagation delays measured in Newton-Siemens (NS), Newton-seconds (Ns), or nanosiemens (nS). Prop delays are measured in seconds or nanoseconds (ns) if they're short enough.

Tom

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Mho and the inverted omega should be banished once and for all. Conductance is measured in Siemens, which is abbreviated with a capital S. Not to be confused with seconds, which is abbreviated with a lower case s.

All of a sudden I see some positive things regarding being woke ;) Let's cancel the patriarchal cisgender mho!!!

Last edited:
The SI symbol for electromotive force is ℰ.

Huh, really!? As far as I can tell, the SI is about the UNITS of physical properties, NOT about the symbols/variables used for the physical properties themselves.

The electromotive force (or any other physical property) can be expressed using ANY symbol/letter, as long as it is defined within the scope of a text or formula.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Conductance is measured in Siemens, which is abbreviated with a capital S. Not to be confused with seconds, which is abbreviated with a lower case s.
Tom

Yes, any references to actual person names should be capitalized.
As you say, s for seconds, S for Siemens and my pet peave, F for Farad.
So it's 10nF, not 10nf.
And Fahrrad is bicycle in German ;-)
And it is 10kHz, not 10KHz or 10khz or any other combination. k stands for kilo, Hz for Mr. Herz.

Jan

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Farhhrad?! Maybe "Fahrrad" (bicycle) but the blokes name was Michael Faraday anyway. It was said his wife kept him in a cage. Probably just gossip.

Looking at the picture one can see similarity with the average audio DIYer :)

Attachments

• 800px-Michael_Faraday_Millikan-Gale-1906.jpg
    800px-Michael_Faraday_Millikan-Gale-1906.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
As far as I know, ships are measured according to their displacement. I.e., a 100-ton ship will displace 100 tons of water. It has practically no relation to the actual weight of the ship.

Tom

Actually, the displacement equals the weight of the ship.

EDIT - this should have been far more precise, as we are discussing the issue: the weight of the displaced water equals the weight of the ship.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
1 litre of water weighs 1kg and occupies a cube of 10cmx10cmx10cm, 1 cubic meter holds 10x10x10 of those cubes or 1000 litres.

I had this equation in memory too, but, water has rhe highest density at ca. 4°C and weights almost 1 kg…(disregarding temp or atmospheric pressure)

This is out of wiki of course: 3,98303 °C: 0,999975 g·cm^3

To add nonsense to fun: wonder if F(ahrrad) could be related to V(elo)…

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had this equation in memory too, but, water has the highest density at ca. 4°C and weights almost 1 kg…(disregarding temp or atmospheric pressure)

This is out of wiki of course: 3,98303 °C: 0,999975 g·cm^3

As mentioned, only at the equator. Gravity drops a bit if you go towards the poles as the earth is a bit flattened. You can jump higher at the poles than at the equator ;-)

To add nonsense to fun: wonder if F(ahrrad) could be related to V(elo)…

:cool:

Jan