Connecting a turntable to a TV

Hi,
I have looked through recommended threads to no avail.
I'm not sure where to post my query.

A few years ago I purchased a Sherwood PM-9805 turntable and have never used it.
At the time I purchased a DOSS PA005 pre-amplifier.
I don’t have any audio systems now, and want to play records through my Kogan TV, model KALED40XXXTA-A.
I have connected the turntable cables to the pre-amp (there is a ground wire but no position on the pre-amp to connect it to), and then used an RCA cable to connect to the L/R audio inputs on the TV.
There is no sound.
I don’t know if the problem is the turntable, the pre-amp or the TV.
Is it critical to connect the earth wire? If so, how?
How can I test the pre-amp?
Does anyone have suggestions?
I'm not an audio expert. :confused:

Regards

4:15 PM
To:counts

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hard to say for sure but things to try would be connecting a known good line level source to the TV such as a CD player. If you have no audio at all as in not even a buzz or hum then I would be looking at the TV settings.

Some TV's may mute in the absence of video information... that is a real unknown in your case.

Make sure you have selected the correct inputs on the TV. Again without beuing familiar with that TV it is an unknown what the options are.

Ground wire problems would cause hum normally, the fact you have no audio means this isn't a concern area at this stage.

The Kogan has RCA audio inputs for the CVBS (composite video) input. The sound for this connection should go through to the speakers when you select CVBS as the input using the SOURCE button on the remote control. You can also select the source using the button under the TV screen to the right of the on/off button.

If you select this input and a message comes on the screen saying No Signal it may mean that the TV is expecting to get a video signal, but your turntable doesn't have anything to connect there, which means it may not work.

If you do get sound from the turntable, but it is buzzy, try connecting the 'ground' wire to one of the RCA grounds.

Note that you don't use the MUSIC selection in the main menu; this is for playing MP3s on a USB stick.

With due respect, I´d forget the TV which in any case is a poor Audio player (they focus on Image, sound is secondary) and geta proper Audio amp and cabinets.
Even the cheapest Goodwill find will be better, and as a bonus, most old Hi Fi stuff is *designed* forn a Turntable, has the proper built-in preamps, EQ, etc.
In fact, you can also use it as a "Home Theater" by connecting TV Line OUT to its Aux IN , go figure.

As Mooly perfectly put´s it......
In absence of a vertical sync signal on the CVBS input, the audio will be muted.
If you still want to go along with this solution, just take an old VCR- or DVD player with CVBS output and connect it to your CVBS input on your TV and play a videotape or a DVD.
As long as the video/DVD is playing, the audio signal will be active :)

My Samsung LCD will not display until it has a sound signal.
So I had to connect from the satellite box to it, the other channel goes through an amp to a single speaker, kept so that my Dad can watch TV at dawn without disturbing us.
And the side effect is that the sound through the speaker is a lot clearer than that from the TV, which I have kept at zero volume.
It should be possible to give some sort of base frequency to the video signal in of the TV.
Or simply build or use another amp and speakers, why do you need to feed the TV from a turn table?
The sound quality is so good?

$50 onwards will buy you an old amp and speakers...

Last edited: