Zip cord for speaker test

Since the possibility of out-of-bandwidth stablity issues of some (marginally designed?) class d amplifiers when using XXX meter cable runs has me snoring, any mighty stranded zobel impedance warriors want to wax poetic about how this cable magic would be applied to a sigma drive amplifier?
Did not find such issue with class D (TPA3255, NC252MP). It is immune to cable lumped elements impedance induced oscillations, for obvious reasons. Class AB is prone to this phenomenon.

Cyril Bateman (RIP) wrote a series of magazine articles on speaker cables way in 1997.
One point in the article was that it is possible for a combination of amplifier >> cable >> cable length >> loudspeaker ~ to oscillate at radio frequencies.
Change anyone of those four elements and no oscillation.

It's a long stretch to worry about Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance of speaker cables.

Did not find such issue with class D (TPA3255, NC252MP). It is immune to cable lumped elements impedance induced oscillations, for obvious reasons. Class AB is prone to this phenomenon.

If course class D is immune, you need 2 dimensional interconnects and flat speaker cable but I’m still not switching 😂

No imaginary answers on sigma drive? How about any amp independent audibility test? Can you hear the pro audio engineers laughing in the background? Highly technical ‘scientific based’ impedance trolls are still trolls and lending space to nonsense is still a waste of time.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The impedance thing is certainly not trolling. Its science and facts. One can debate if impedance matching is in the end audible or not for a 3 meter cable. Maybe everyone has not the same sensitivity or listens differently. Pro is not always more advance you know - they dint have time to do 100% - de go for 20% to achieve 80% - it's fair.

//

The impedance thing is certainly not trolling. Its science and facts
And at what frequency are you going to impedance match?
Below 1 Megahertz, every frequency may have a different impedance.
And that goes for:
Amplifier output impedance
Cable characteristic impedance (below 1 MHz it's not the listed RFCI )
Loudspeaker impedance

And then we get into well behaved transmission lines.

Many many things can be shown or proven mathematical which have NO effect on typical conditions or reality. Hi-fi marketing crusaded against THD for decades (at ASR it’s still a religion) but subjectively distortion has been shown to represent audio umami being blamed for things like ‘warmth’, non-fatiguing, musicality, depth, richness, even soundstage…marketing attempts to turn subjectivity into science in order to sell you snake oil. Trolls do the same thing for free in order to feel smart.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thats a fine stance - but one need to possess the insight and technical knowledge to not miss out of the good ones that still perhaps sound crazy ;)

Many "trolls" are ignorant - and therefore not trolls per see...

//

In my latest design I use Cat7... in the source side I take the analog signals, AC couple and low pass filter them to 96 Khz, then frequency modulate them with 1.33 Mhz (L) and 1.66 MHz (R). Than I take that into a very fine video ADC into a Raspberry 5 and then it gets sent via an audiophile IP network composed of Tice Clock'd ethernet switches over pure silver, monocrystal, unidirectional Cat7 cables... on the receiving end, we have the corresponding receiver, FM demodulator and a PWM amplifier which does NOT use an ADC.

The speaker impedance is used as the integrator for the signal, hence it is very important that the source frequency modulation must be precisely at a 67 angle phase shift with a four pole Thompson re-demolator burlatory mono-wrapper.... otherwise the harmonic hegemonist triple synchronazed urbulatory decomposer can not properly drive the PWD second order filter.

So, as you see, yes, Cat7 can be used, but only within a carefully design system. Otherwise you will fail to develop the bloom of the music and incur harshness and brittleness when playing 19th century baroque re-inventions.

For the great unwashed that lack the training and insight into such advanced electronic design and mathematical comnobulations.... it means that bad impedance can impede the sound. Might as well buy a CD player and a Bose acoustimass system.

There.

Reactions: 1 user

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
To be honest, I only skimmed the first paragraph - it looked like someting you read here and there so at this point I gave up and entered my reply :)

Even if you really tried to be sarcastic, reality wasn't so far away - just prove how some parts of this ballgame has gone totally pear-shaped :)

Noon, at the well? ;-D

//

Heaviside made the telephone lines work in the old days by impedance matching. Thats 400-4k - OK?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaviside_condition
//
Back in the old, old days at the radio station. When we did a live remote broadcast, we would use and land-line. Phone company engineers would come in with big network matching boxes at each end. and tune the line for reasonable response.
For those interested in how complicated audio frequency transmission line are and about 600 Ohm audio interconnect systems.
Jim Brown has an old article. (just skip over the math parts)

"Transmission Lines at Audio Frequencies, and a Bit of History"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/TransLines-LowFreq.pdf