Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

My server burned out ...
My server burned out ...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2021, 09:02 AM   #31
pcan is offline pcan  Italy
diyAudio Member

My server burned out ...
The OVH SBG2 was not a typical datacenter. It was built in 2016 according to the OVH "tower" blueprint, also deployed on other OVH facilities. The OVH founder was proud of this concept back then, and described it extensively. It is a lightweight structure with wooden floors and minimal internal partitioning, designed to host OVH lower tier services in a cost optimized fashion. It was touted to enable higher density than the company "datacenter in a container" blueprint, also deployed at the Strasbourg site (SBG1) and also damaged by the fire. The building was equipped with old servers that were previously retired from the OVH enterprise service tier, paired with cheap consumer grade hardware. Basically it was a temporary building filled with expendable hardware. I would not be surprised if the fire suppression systems and crew incident response training would have been geared mainly toward the prevention of personal injuries. No one was hurt despite the extent of the fire, so this worked out. Services at SBG2 had a "best effort" service level agreement.
Old 14th March 2021, 09:05 AM   #32
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Well, that information sheds some light at it. Maybe the prevention of personal injuries worked because nobody was there at the time?
Old 14th March 2021, 09:17 AM   #33
pcan is offline pcan  Italy
diyAudio Member

My server burned out ...
OVH datacenters are staffed 24/7 and have internal video surveillance, it does make sense even in extreme cost-cutting scenarios, but I guess that people were instructed to just turn on the fire suppression system they had, call the fire brigade and rush outside. According to reports on web hosting forums, power to server rooms was left turned on while internal temperature was rising, so this is consistent with rapid evacuation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OVH_SBG_aftermath.jpg (60.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 14th March 2021, 09:19 AM   #34

Hi, I asked this because sometimes even 24/7 staff is too expensive to be able to compete with larger companies. Video surveillance is therefor standard since ages and the least one should have to run an (unmanned) datacenter and to have a TIER or other similar certification. I do note differences in disaster scenarios with regards to leaving equipment switched on. Sometimes there isn't a working/proven/tested EOP.

All in all something nobody wants to experience and also pities the competitor.

Last edited by jean-paul; 14th March 2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 22nd March 2021, 06:25 AM   #35
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

My server burned out ...
Things are not going well. And this is not new news.

OVH writes off another data centre – SBG1 – as small second fire detected, doused • The Register Forums

“We don’t plan to restart SBG1. Ever.”
....news of a second fire on the site.

....a post .... from November 2017 that discussed a power outage .... “the worst incident that can happen to us.”

Meanwhile fire takes out Japanese chip plant:
Fire takes out Japanese chip plant, owner Renesas warns of more silicon shortages • The Register
Old 22nd March 2021, 06:57 AM   #36

If a power outage would be the worst incident that can happen.....
Old 22nd March 2021, 08:31 AM   #37
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

My sites have been moved to a Contabo server center in Germany. All seems well again.

Contabo Locations 🌎 Global Availability & Growing Data Center Footprint

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 22nd March 2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 21st September 2021, 05:28 AM   #38
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

My server burned out ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
This is how a server farm fire looks ...
Like a phoenix rising from the smouldering ruins of its data centre, OVH sets sights on IPO

"One other financial aspect mentioned in today's document is the commitment OVH received from insurers to pay $58m to "cover the consequences of the fire" at its data centre in Strasbourg, France, in March.
"The blaze took out SBG2 data centre, OVH was forced to write off SBG1, and the blaze hit service in other bit barns on site. The suspected cause was a UPS refresh a day before the fire broke out, but a full report on the investigation is not expected to be made public for some time.
"Some clients lost data due to the incident and OVH has put in place measures to prevent a similar mishap from taking place, including a lab to model the impact of fires on data centres."
  Reply to this post

My server burned out ...Hide this!Advertise here!