rate my sad setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok I have a yamaha rx-v461 until I fix my sony str-dn1030
my speakers are
center channel: polk audio cs175i
front left/right:insignia Ns-SP211 3" bookshelf speakers
surround:jbl flix10
subwoofer:dcm sw10
the wire I used is 16 gauge (I don't like the thin stuff)

Last edited:
Speakers are nearly always the weakest link; I suspect you could improve on the 3" Insignia speakers for not much money. I've seen amazing deals on speakers (pennies on the dollar) at thrift stores, yard sales, and even at pawn shops. Just watch out for rotten foam surrounds and "white van" junk. Radio Shack sold zillions of the Minimus 7 and LX5, which are far better than the majority of "home theater in a box" speakers. (LX5 are less common, but better; even Stereophile magazine reviewed them.)

Last edited:
I don't need to rate your system, as you have already done that yourself (using your rating system) in the thread's title :)

On a more serious note, don't focus on how it may compare to systems you can't afford at this stage of your life. Enjoy what you have, I'm sure it's the best you can have at this point of time. When you are able and can afford it, you will be able to upgrade components and enjoy better sound. There are not many audio enthusiasts who's first systems were their "dream" systems. All started where they could, and slowly upgraded to the point where they have good systems.

And remember, there is a lot of vintage audio equipment that is superb quality and affordable. New is not always better.

Joined 2011
Try moving your speakers, both in height and separation. They should be fairly symmetrical in the room.
Often the sound is improved if you sit closer (near field listening). You probably know about phasing them.

Check the resale shops every so often, you'll be surprised what shows up (but test it, or get an ok to return it).

Last edited:
Your weakest link in your system, is those god-awful Insignia things...Frankly you shouldn't have paid more than a good lunch for those. If you took those apart you would be astounded just how poorly they are constructed.
If you want to keep with the modern Yamaha theme, these bookshelves would get you started towards good sound, or any of the now defunct KRK "passive" monitors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Attachments

• yamaha spks.jpg
    yamaha spks.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
If I may... a great, nay, magnificent set of speakers for the price is the Andrew Jones Pioneer line. You can sometimes get the pair of tower speakers for $200. They easily blow most competition around the $1000-$2500 region away, to my ears. They seem to be rated almost universally excellent. Again, for the price, I feel they image beautifully.

Bookshelf: $129 for the pair, SP-BS22-LR model
Tower: $250/pr (sometimes $200), SP-FS52 model.

I wish I had bought a spare pair at the $200/ pr price! Bought them on a lark and was blown away.

Edit: Well, looks like they're sold out all around the 'net. The bookshelf ones are still available though. Now I really wish I had snatched up another pair!

Last edited:
I 2nd this!

I had a musician friend who once took me to "his" studio to show me his set-up.
They had all the gear one would expect, a five meter by maybe ten meter sized where the guys would set up for sessions. Making my way to the control board making myself comfortable, there was a pair of KRK six-inch versions, set up there on the board...lots of "don't mess with anything please"...could we listen to some music please?...I went online for some tracks...the KRKs were dialed in of course....as I was enjoying the music, "Do you wanna hear them in the room?'
"Sure"...seeing those fifteen inch drivers & big horn job, "monitors" about ready....I should have known better, virtually unlistenable...I made an off the cuff remark & my friend said something to the effect, "Yeah, I know they sound like crap...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick......

LOL!

My good friend had them at his studio on the roof of the old Sears building in Dallas, that building was revamped into lofts, and his studio was pretty kick-***, right next to the roof swimming pool.

He had the KRKs, but now that I think of it, they may have been active monitors - he replaced his blown Mackies with them, and there was a marked improvement, quite stunning for the very reasonable price he bought them for!

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
ok I have a yamaha rx-v461 until I fix my sony str-dn1030
my speakers are
center channel: polk audio cs175i
front left/right:insignia Ns-SP211 3" bookshelf speakers
surround:jbl flix10
subwoofer:dcm sw10
the wire I used is 16 gauge (I don't like the thin stuff)

What's the scale? Zero to five? You could actually make it a poll.

Other than rating your system, what is your level of satisfaction? Are you itching to build something? Or just swap the weakest link?

To achieve great sound, you need three parts: signal source, amplification, and speakers to be on the same level.
If you have terrible signal source, it does not matter if you have the worlds best preamp, amp and speakers.
Similarly, you can take best possible signal, amplify it with best sounding amp, but if you feed it to crappy speakers, all you hear is the weakest link.

Find out what is weakest point in your audio and upgrade it. Then listen, identify again and repeat.
Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.