Building a mini soundsystem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I would like to build my own mini, portable soundsystem but i am struggling to find info on how to do it/what i would need? for example i would like to have 2, maybe 4 speakers with bluetooth connection, charging input (USB C or similar)
volume control, rechargeable battery etc. Could anyone tell me how best to do this or point me towards some information which can? I'd really appreciate the help!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is an integrated 4 channel amplifier and DSP (to do the crossover):
ZOUDIO electronics
that could be a good starting point.

In terms of specifying the drive units its like any other speaker. The best way to approach this is with a specification E.G: Maximum size, Weight , Stereo Mono? Separate subwoofers? Budget?

Here is a link to some of my portable stuff: Higher voltage? - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

There are zillions of old iPod speaker docks out there for cheap or free. Adding a Bluetooth input and USB charging would give them a new lease on life. I kind of regret scrapping a Logitech system I found near a dumpster; it had an 18650 cell with protection, boost power supply to run a class-D amplifier, a bunch of op-amps which presumably did some equalization and stereo width expansion. Speakers had passive radiators, since it would have been physically impossible to tune a port low enough in such a small enclosure. It might have been possible to parallel another 18650 and increase battery life, and add a USB charging board (TP4056).

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dangus,

You have been scarce for some time good to see you back.

I have a small system that fits into a haliburton briefcase. µMar-Ken6 with A6.2m, a small 3118 amplifier and either the iPhone, MacBook, or iPod Classic as source (need to find a battery for that).

Sounds very good. I avoid bluetooth. It is for keyboards, mice, and so phnes can talk to one another.

dave

I'm slowly putting together a "sound box thing" in an orange ammo box I got from a hunting/fishing store. Big and sturdy enough to sit or stand on, flat sides for mounting speakers, enough overhang on the lid to give some rain protection. Intended uses are camping and working outdoors on my truck. I don't anticipate great sound from the 4x6 Kenwood two-way car speakers (Salvation Army); amp was going to be a TA2024, but I was tempted by a cheap TPA3116 with Bluetooth (Banggood). There's 3 strips of COB LEDs (Dollar Tree) with a PWM dimmer (ebay), DVM for battery voltage, USB (Dollarama)/lighter (Swap'n'Shop)/powerpole (Queale) jacks. It may get finished this year; I need to dig up the right switches, 3.5 mm input jack, LED bar graph driver for the Superflux LEDs mounted around the recessed control panel, and set up a work area. Battery was going to be 12V SLA, but they kept dying on me, so now it'll be the also unfinished 3S4P 18650 (recycled cells, PCM from ebay) pack built into a small drybox (KMS Tools).

Last edited:
I was mistaken; it's a TPA3110. I'm pretty sure the claim of Bluetooth 4.2 is untrue, but I've since learned that regular Bluetooth can sometimes be tweaked to use higher bitrates. Price at the time was an irresistible $3.49 plus $1.30 shipping.
Geekcreit(R) tpa3110 bluetooth 4.2 digital amplifier board 15wx2 class d stereo power amplifier dc 8v-26v Sale - Banggood.com
If you can find that LED bargraph kit, I'd be grateful; I can offer a variety of things in trade.

One thing I like about the TA2024 is that it has an output pin that indicates clipping. I've been meaning to make a pulse stretcher that will turn on an LED if the amp clips. Yamaha makes at least on class-D chip with a built-in anti-clipping circuit (like a limiter or AGC); I don't know if the commonly available boards implement that.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.