3rd Wire in Unbalanced Interconnect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is no need for a third core wire in an unbalanced interconnect that I am aware of.

Using double core screened cable, you can connect both signal and return while connecting the screen at the transmitting end only.

Even simpler, with single core screened cable you can use the centre conductor for the signal and the screen (connected at both ends) for the return.

Either way suits a short interconnect in a domestic Hi-Fi environment.

Last edited:
Could you have misunderstood the AudioQuest description?

TRIPLE-BALANCED GEOMETRY:
This cable features a unique conductor configuration known as 'Triple-Balanced'. This means that when used in either an RCA or XLR application, the positive and negative signals have equally low-distortion conducting paths. The shield gives 100% coverage while never being used as a lesser conductor, ensuring the integrity of the signal being passed through the interconnect itself.
AudioQuest Wind RCA/XLR Interconnect available from Hifi Gear

That is the same wiring as in my first description - nothing special, just common practice.

Last edited:
Galu, I wonder if my Diamondback might be different than today's cables. Mine is 20 years old and an old ad photo shows three wires. Two signal conductors with another grounded conductor (at only one end?) plus the outer braided or foil shield.

The term asymmetrical is used with their new single jacket interconnects. Apparently, there are two signal wires for each channel in a single outer jacket. I forgot if there's a common outer shield or one shield for each side. I can understand why a coax might be considered asymmetrical, but if the signal goes through two dedicated wires, with a separate outer shield, why "asymmetrical"? Again thanks.

A quick search for tha Diamondback interconnect shows you are correct in your original description regarding a third wire.

This cable design is Triple-Balanced. This means there are three identical insulated conductors, in addition to a separate conductor underneath the 100% coverage foil shield. When used with XLR connectors and balanced electronics, the two positive signals (inverting and non-inverting) and the negative, all get the same low-distortion conducting path. The shield is attached to chassis ground through the case of the XLR, providing extremely effective shielding without contaminating the quality of the negative conducting path. When Diamondback is fitted with RCA plugs, two conductors are used together for the much higher potential across the negative connection, providing a substantial performance advantage. The shield is only attached at one end, providing total shield coverage without compromising the negative conducting path. For a sound which is smooth, efficient and pure, the Diamondback is a great investment. Available in either XLR or RCA terminations.
Whether this is a technical tour de force or simply audio hype, I'll leave up to you to decide! Audioquest Diamondback Stereo Interconnect available in popular lengths Hifi Gear

Here's an image of the Diamondback cable construction:

h703DB1MR-o.jpeg

Attachments

• Diamondback Interconnect Cable.jpg
    Diamondback Interconnect Cable.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 62
The way I read it, in the RCA configuration, they are simply paralleling two conductors for the return path and using the third conductor for the signal path. The screen is connected at one end only.

That's all very fine, but I can't see any advantage in the doubling up and AudioQuest do not attempt to explain the 'performance advantage'.

I'm happy to avoid exotic cable geometries and simply stick to what's tried and tested.

Some of those high-end cables do look awful pretty though! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.