New Music and Math Study Shows Strong Links

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The paper: Multilevel Models of the Relationship Between Music Achievement and Reading and Math Achievement

Authors: Martin J. Bergee, Kevin M. Weingarten

And an article that explains the findings: New study shows strong links between music and math, reading achievement

Key concept: music and math probably share similar brain processes.

"Based on the findings, the point we tried to make is that there might be, and probably are, general learning processes that underlie all academic achievement, no matter what the area is. Music achievement, math achievement, reading achievement—there are probably more generalized processes of the mind that are brought to bear on any of those areas.

Therefore, if your goal is to educate the person—to develop the person's mind—then you need to educate the whole person. In other words, learning may not be as modular as it is often thought to be."

I think I've read studies that show singing is a social binding mechanism in hunter-gatherer groups. They're nomadic but they interact. When they interact they sing. Singing binds their groups. Which makes me wonder if singing in early man strengthened brain structures that led to advanced math capability in humans.

I'll have to keep an eye out for studies like that now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.