Coffee Grinder Enclosure (Noise Reduction)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..looks pretty similar to me. Maybe I'm measuring....

MOST of the energy is below 500Hz. Frequency should be log scale.

Microphone is awful close. Put it at your ear; or standardize on 30" away and ear-height (60"?).

Everything below ~~1kHz will be omni (the grinder is too small to throw bass) and a typical (small, hard) kitchen will be all-the-same beyond 3 feet.

OK, I'm outa here now......!!!
Once people pull out microphones and do graphs of a damn kitchen coffee grinder sound and discuss its sonic levels.... (subscription deleted to retain sanity)
Hey, why not ;) ?
Acoustics is a WIDE field, Music reproduction by electrical means just a small area of it, while Noise, Vibration, Architectural Acoustics, etc. are IMPORTANT fields.

I bet more SPL meters are devoted to Industrial noise, noise pollution, etc. than to checking SPL at Concerts or at Home.

Have you tried any of those hand grinders? Asking because I would like to buy a new coffee grinder and the hand operated ones seem very appealing. I mean why over complicate things if a simple hand grinder will do for a morning cup of coffee for the wife and myself.

They're slow. I've been doing it for over a decade, but only for myself. Grinding enough for two, at least on my Hario Skerton, would be an endeavor that I imagine most would find gets old fast. I hate loud sounds in the morning while I'm booting up, so a hand grinder is great for that reason. Plus it's a nice morning ritual to wake up. (I also don't necessarily recommend it for anyone else!)

(The burrs might actually be dull by now, I remember it being faster, but take that with a truckload of salt)

We've talked about this subject before, but I also roast coffee using a popcorn popper. I roast about 4-5 days at a time, so my process is to roast my *next* batch, i.e. letting it rest those 4-5 days seems to be a sweet spot.

Last edited:
I agree, I have a Hario hand grinder and it gets old fast. Also, I don't make drip coffee anymore because I'm too lazy. I make espresso then add water. That's why the powered grinder matters in this case.

I don't rest my coffee after roasting. Instead, I add brew time when fresh roasted then reduce time as the batch outgasses. I have buttons on the espresso machine that let me control shot time so I use those. If you do that with pour over it takes a couple extra minutes if I remember correctly but it's only an extra 5-6 seconds under pressure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.