Analysis of speaker cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way to find out if some music reproduction idea works is to listen to it.

This one was a bad choice for your comment. It's painful to read the BS in that link, current drift and audio frequency resonances indeed. Kinetic Phase Inversion Processing how about KRAP.

EDIT - Always a good laugh in there; Continuity and polarity tests – by two technicians.

Last edited:
As I said, I have no problem seeing this as a problem with headphones, (but yould think pushing one side of the phones in would shift centre, does it?) speakers not so much. You really think moving one speaker closer 2mm will shift the centre? I don't. Interchannel delay is not the same as ITD. You get ITD from both speakers (the left signal hits both ears as dose the right). There are no natural sounds that come from 2 sources so how have we evolved to hear interchannel delay?
There should be four images. Each speaker by itself, when the sound hits the intended ear, and when the sound hits the opposite ear. How we even get an image is amazing, and way beyond my pay grade.

Moving one speaker 2 mm will shift the sweet spot 1mm. How would we possibly know?

Jn

Not exactly. I can hear sounds that can't be measured, tinnitus is the one I know of for sure, it's a meaningless argument IMO. However he has suggested that my tinnitus undermines my hearing acuity, perhaps that is worth discussing?
Oh, I am sure it can be measured, if somebody deems it worth doing.

It would involve tiny intracraneal electrodes applied straight to nerves, of couse, a major intervention, but it should be physically possible.

Yes and this one is easy to test. Put a mono sound (some thing easy to locate, like a metal impact) in a stereo track and compare it with one track delayed various amounts. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Yes. Reference point. This is the classic case of using a third speaker on rails, where a user has to move the center speaker to align with an image created by the stereo pair.
Jn

wow, this thread !
Over 300 replies and discussion about esoteric cable sound just because someone created some fake measurements.
Guys!

And I thought this was an serious audio-forum!
Think again :D
There were hundreds of blind test for Audio-cable and serious physical measurements, calculation and simulation (of people who DONT want to sell cables for unrealistic prices to you). The speaker cable makes no difference (if real copper and A > 2mm^2) !
Amen, Brother
But it seems like people want to believe in some BS, because they dont understand the real world anymore.
You assume they ever did? :p

I wonder if this "HARP" is something to do with impedance matching as they are talking about resonances in a cable.
In a way yes.
That they are both unrelated to Audio use seems to be a point conveniently ignored.

"HARP was discovered during Caelin Gabriel’s research into current drift and audio frequency current resonances that occur in speaker cables. These resonances are roughly analogous to standing waves (modals) in room acoustics.
Surprisingly accurate ... as long as you remember cable resonances involve signals near speed of light, while room resonances involve signals travelling at the speed of sound.
A small, easy to ignore 1 MILLION to 1 ERROR (almost, actually 882000:1 , same thing). :D
So gross it isn´t even funny. :mad:
The exclusive HARP module acts as a current-mode diffraction device that breaks up these resonances, improving the perceived resolution and coherency of the system."
This at least is just plain BS/snake oil

Apart from that, that cables don’t make a difference is just your personal opinion and cannot be brought forward as fixed in concrete.
Not at all.
Way better than fixed in concrete, it can be proven by testing and measuring

Which can not be said of all the crap and nonsense that is being poured into this thread, turning it into a cesspool.

Besides a few contributions from sensible members who can stand the stench, for a good cause.

The exclusive HARP module acts as a current-mode diffraction device that breaks up these resonances, improving the perceived resolution and coherency of the system."
Isn’t it an admirable skill when you can pack so much in just one sentence without giving any useful info ?
The guy who wrote this is a real word magician.
Reminds me of the Bybee modules.

Hans

Not at all.
Way better than fixed in concrete, it can be proven by testing and measuring

Which can not be said of all the crap and nonsense that is being poured into this thread, turning it into a cesspool.
Sorry, but you will never be able to prove what others hear or think to hear.
Trying to prove everything is a dead ending street, where I personally don’t feel any need justify or try to understand why I prefer one thing above another.
When I fall in love with something or someone, the last thing that comes to my mind is trying to find out why.

I like what Einstein said:
Not everything what can be measured is important and
Not everything that is important can be measured.

So personally I don’t think that aural experiences and difference can be explained or rejected that easily.

Hans

Not at all.
Way better than fixed in concrete, it can be proven by testing and measuring.
Can it now.

I see a lot of people who do not understand what to measure.

I see a test problem that current SOTA is incapable of measuring. But what do I know, I just sweep the floors.

Jn
Ps. Please, blanket assertions are beneath you. As a wise sage said, if you don't like the program, change the channel.

I agree it is wrong to make impulsive blanket assertions. Take an amplifier with less than ideal output impedance vs frequency a cable (for now simply call it a lumped R/L/C) and a speaker that can have gross variations in impedance and you have a system that can have easily audible frequency response variations by simply swapping cables. If these effects are not accounted for there is no argument supporting other claims.

Sorry, but you will never be able to prove what others hear or think to hear.
Sure you can. You just have to find out what / how others did the test.

Trying to prove everything is a dead ending street, where I personally don’t feel any need justify or try to understand why I prefer one thing above another.
Someone's preference vs something sounding different aren't the same thing. If a person claims that switching to speaker cable x caused audible difference, it can easily be proven by measurements.

So personally I don’t think that aural experiences and difference can be explained or rejected that easily.
Actual audible difference can easily be explained.

Max Townshend is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Time: Dec 5, 2020 18:00 GMT

Topic: Townshend cable measurements Demo + Q&A.

To demonstrate that characteristic impedance matters in the case of speaker cables.
Forum questions regarding voltage and oscilloscope timebase settings will be addressed.

The session will have the following format:

A brief overview of the paper.
Introduction of the test set-up.
A live repeat of the experiment.
An opportunity to discuss the theory and test practices.
To facilitate preparedness, should you have any specific questions, please feel free to pre-submit them to us. This is not a requirement.
Open section for ad hoc or any further questions concerning cable testing.

Join Zoom Meeting
Launch Meeting - Zoom

Meeting ID: 935 6970 3283
Passcode: JYzH2K

The session will be recorded.

Max,
Thx for the invitation,
When I can make myself free from my Santa Claus duties, I will certainly try to attend.

Without the intention to be rude, theories heard and read so far explaining the cause of sound differences couldn't convince me, just like the vigorous simplistic outings that cables make no difference at all as long as the cable has enough AWG.
Nevertheless maybe this zoom session has something interesting to tell.

Still on my list are to measure open, shorted and loaded speaker cables with my VNA, just like Cyril Bateman did.
I will do that with my current LS cables and with the same length of zip cord, as well in original version and also with the two conductors split apart.
The low inductance resistors for these measurements are on its way from Mouser.
Who knows what this will bring, I will post the results.

Hans

<snip>
There were hundreds of blind test for Audio-cable and serious physical measurements, calculation and simulation (of people who DONT want to sell cables for unrealistic prices to you). The speaker cable makes no difference (if real copper and A > 2mm^2) !
But it seems like people want to believe in some BS, because they dont understand the real world anymore.

Could you supply some links to these "hundreds of blind test for Audio-cable"; I'm always interested in good/sound sensory experiments.

@starkeyg;
Sadly, people believe what they want to.

Obviously that is true, but quite often iti still holds true wrt to scientists as well.
Bias control is of utmost importance.

Than it what the scientific method is about, finding reality rather that what you want to. Has gotten us to other planets, doing nano tools research and so much more. It works.

If it is real science, it works (most of the time), but expecially wrt sensory tests a lot of the experiments isn't well planned and executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.