Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Analysis of speaker cables
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 26th November 2020, 02:30 PM   #141
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

And the resonances I am talking about don't have much detail, but they envelop you in a live environment. If you have ever listened to a choir in a decent size chapel or Cathederal you will understand the effect. Almost impossible to create at home from a 2 channel source, but need a challenge.

Old 26th November 2020, 02:52 PM   #142
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Sure, I get it. Some of the music I also want to be able to reproduce well has complex synthetic ambience. That type of decay can be more detailed, depending. Still working on it. Its a challenge for sure.

Old 26th November 2020, 04:48 PM   #143
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I'm pretty sure that those are subjective statements of preference, ie liking, so no one will blame you for ignoring them too.
They claim x, y, z and when challenged, some do realize that those are just subjective observation and lack the objectivity such as bias control, some will double down on their claims as if their income depends on it. Then there are couple other types but I won't bore you with details since they are minority in numbers.

Old 26th November 2020, 06:50 PM   #144
bucks bunny is online now bucks bunny  Germany
diyAudio Member

And there are some that respondl to postings different to their dubious opinions with insults. Revealing a profound lack of reasons and style.

Old 26th November 2020, 06:54 PM   #145
EddieT is offline EddieT  United States
diyAudio Member

I just use el cheapo 18ga extension cords and clip the ends off. They are cheaper and faster than buying lamp cord at the big box store. I figure any compromise in speaker cable is infinitesimal in comparison to speaker compromises I have already made.

Old 26th November 2020, 08:10 PM   #146
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It is most certainly not cables that bind us :-)

Old 26th November 2020, 09:00 PM   #147
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Suddenly I realised that when comparing the step response for the Townshend cable with 1 segment versus 10 segments, I should have reduced all components with a factor 10 to end with the same LRC for both.
What I did was adding 10 equal segments, meaning effectively that I made the cable 10 times as long.
For the Char Imp this makes no difference, but for a step response it does.

In the image below I have corrected this, where I still have to mention that I can't find whether the specs that Townshend provides are per foot, per meter or for their shortest cable which is 2 meter.
Anyhow, with their figures you see the step response for resp. 4, 8 and 16 Ohm for one segment and for 10 segments, where you see a faster settling time but also a larger attenuation as with one segment.

Now I did the same for the earlier mentioned Nordost Valhalla cable, also for 4, 8 and 16 Ohm
If settling time being an important feature for an LS cable, this cable behaves excellent.
Apart from somewhat more attenuation, the version with 10 segments responds almost identical to the 1 segment version.
At audio frequencies the step response is a first order low pas filter determined by the R and the L, where the C plays no role.

Hans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Townshend6.jpg (588.7 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Valhalla.jpg (624.6 KB, 170 views)

Old 27th November 2020, 03:28 AM   #148
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

That is a nice step response graph for the Nordost. You may be the only person on the whole forum with Nordost speaker cables.

Old 27th November 2020, 08:00 AM   #149
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That is a nice step response graph for the Nordost. You may be the only person on the whole forum with Nordost speaker cables.
What a nice idea, I would love to be able to get the opportunity to try them once, but unfortunately no, I don’t have them.
It was just to show that Char Imp is meaningless at audio frequencies because the wavelength is way larger as the cable length and therefore it cannot even behave like one.
So Townshend’s claim is not at all relevant.
But I won’t claim to have solved the question why cables may sound different.
It’s still simply black magic.

Hans

Old 27th November 2020, 09:34 AM   #150
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
What I did was adding 10 equal segments, meaning effectively that I made the cable 10 times as long.
For the Char Imp this makes no difference, but for a step response it does.
It does make a difference for the characteristic impedance: although you can stack any number of elementary, identical LPFs and get a consistent Zo (which surprised me as a small miracle), you cannot change the lump size and still get an identical result. Miracles have limits.
I showed it in one of the previous sims I posted.
For audio, it is purely academic of course, but it matters from a theoretical POV.
The green trace is the impedance of the lumped version; the red trace shows the values split in 12 segments.
The theory of TL applies when the elements are infinitesimally small, but it diverges with discrete, lumped elements.
Attached Images
File Type: png cabletest2.png (82.0 KB, 163 views)

Closed Thread

Analysis of speaker cablesHide this!Advertise here!