Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Analysis of speaker cables
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 12:06 AM   #141
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
Evenharmonics,

IMO you permanently persue in trying to solve the impossible which is fighting emotions (listening experience) with facts (measured results).
Unless you are just expressing your impression of my posts, it would help to persuade readers to your cause if you quote my post/s for specificity sake.

Quote:
The two are hardly correlated in most cases.
Info on who likes what is not just noise, compare it to LP reviews or audio gear reviews in magazines.
I'm not sure if you have read or not but I've challenged those who post audibility claims like x sounds better than y or improvement in sound by swapping out the part z. Someone liking something isn't what I care to respond to.

Quote:
Just as subjective but nevertheless interesting to read when you are interested in the subject.
What subject would that be?
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #142
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Sigh

Hans
Old Today, 12:33 PM   #143
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
I'm not sure if you have read or not but I've challenged those who post audibility claims like x sounds better than y or improvement in sound by swapping out the part z. Someone liking something isn't what I care to respond to.
I'm pretty sure that those are subjective statements of preference, ie liking, so no one will blame you for ignoring them too.
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #144
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's funny but I found that, when I had to buy a commerical product finding something that the UK rag linnlovers didn't like usually meant a good neutral performer

For me I am one of these odd types who values an immersive soundfield above many other traits, despite knowing that a real symphonic performance is not like that. I also don't like how many recordings have you hovvering over the orchestra rather than sitting in front of it. So whilst Mark talks about decay tails of fractions of a second I listed to room resonances dying down over a 5-10 second period for my definition of 'good'.

Neither of us is wrong, we just have different priorities.
Old Today, 01:49 PM   #145
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Bill,
I am getting the long room resonances thing down pretty well. Its the level of musical detail in those resonances as they decay that I was talking about.

Last edited by Markw4; Today at 01:54 PM.
Old Today, 02:30 PM   #146
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

And the resonances I am talking about don't have much detail, but they envelop you in a live environment. If you have ever listened to a choir in a decent size chapel or Cathederal you will understand the effect. Almost impossible to create at home from a 2 channel source, but need a challenge.
Old Today, 02:52 PM   #147
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Sure, I get it. Some of the music I also want to be able to reproduce well has complex synthetic ambience. That type of decay can be more detailed, depending. Still working on it. Its a challenge for sure.
Old Today, 04:48 PM   #148
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I'm pretty sure that those are subjective statements of preference, ie liking, so no one will blame you for ignoring them too.
They claim x, y, z and when challenged, some do realize that those are just subjective observation and lack the objectivity such as bias control, some will double down on their claims as if their income depends on it. Then there are couple other types but I won't bore you with details since they are minority in numbers.
Old Today, 06:50 PM   #149
bucks bunny is online now bucks bunny  Germany
diyAudio Member

And there are some that respondl to postings different to their dubious opinions with insults. Revealing a profound lack of reasons and style.
Old Today, 06:54 PM   #150
EddieT is online now EddieT  United States
diyAudio Member

I just use el cheapo 18ga extension cords and clip the ends off. They are cheaper and faster than buying lamp cord at the big box store. I figure any compromise in speaker cable is infinitesimal in comparison to speaker compromises I have already made.
  Reply to this post

Analysis of speaker cablesHide this!Advertise here!