OS for old computer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2019
Paid Member
The software will only run on a serial port or a USB if I buy a $1,000 serial converter box.

There are converters that claim to do a good job for $20-30. Have you ever tried any? I did, briefly, for an uncomplicated job and got serial --> USB without any major sturm und drang. But it was a very simple job, on Win10 and only in that direction.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I am not sure if this thread is funny or sad. Why do you run in circles with Windows? Just use a free (as in free beer) operating system. Oh, it might even be free (as in free speech). And it will certainly be good enough to talk to a serial port.
6 Best Linux Distributions for Beginners in 2020

As a die hard Linux user for 20 years or so, I usually suggest people try it. In this case, I am advising under the assumption that the software to program his mobility scooter is a Windows application. Yes there is WINE, but the OP doesn't seem super computer-savvy (sorry if I am wrong) and WINE becomes considerably more complicated when you start involving peripheral devices. It isn't impossible, but for the task at hand it makes much more sense to install Windows 10 (even if temporarily).

Joined 2011
Paid Member
There are converters that claim to do a good job for $20-30. Have you ever tried any? I did, briefly, for an uncomplicated job and got serial --> USB without any major sturm und drang. But it was a very simple job, on Win10 and only in that direction.

I agree that this is probably the easiest solution. If the OP already has a PC that can run the scooter software, then buy a $30 USB-serial adapter and be done with it. We use the cheap USB-serial adapters in our data centres to enable newer laptops (sans serial port) to access routers and switches via serial console connection. They work perfectly. Serial is not a complicated port.

Having said that, if the OP still wants to install Windows 10 on that Lenovo, then no problem. It easily meets the system requirements. Windows 10 system requirements

Use another Windows PC to download Windows 10 and create a bootable USB thumb drive.

1) Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to another computer Download Windows 10

2) Follow the instructions on that page to create a bootable USB installation media

3) Insert the bootable USB drive into the Lenovo

4) Power up the Lenovo and get yourself into the BIOS - find where the boot options are and select the USB drive as the first boot device. Alternatively, hit whatever function key is used to bring up the BIOS boot menu during POST. The point of this step is to get the USB drive to boot the Windows 10 installer.

5) Install Windows 10 and enjoy. You'll get little reminders to activate Windows, but you can use the OS to do what you need to do. I run it in a Virtual Machine on my Linux workstation and it functions perfectly except I can't change my wallpaper and I get reminders to activate sometimes. I only use it for testing purposes once in a while. This is not "illegal", otherwise Microsoft would not make it so damned easy to do.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
If there's the opportunity to try Linux and you have the time and inclination then it's certainly worth a go. Modern distributions have fairly friendly installations and GUI front ends that won't scare a user familiar with Windows.

But, even then it takes time, and if all you want to do is get that job done it's a big sacrifice to make.

My partner doesn't like or trust computers. She uses them, accepts the necessity, but gets flustered when stuff doesn't work or starts displaying unusual error messages. I've been careful to 'curate' her experiences and wouldn't consider her going near a Linux distribution.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
NOTE: During the Windows 10 installation, it will try to trick you into creating a Microsoft account and a bunch of other crap - but there is always an option to skip/ignore the steps. They don't make it obvious, but it can be done. There are probably youtube videos that show exactly how to get a clean install without all the crap.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Steven,

In this specific situation where the OP needs a Windows program to access a peripheral device (serial port), Linux + WINE adds an unnecessary layer of complexity. Many Windows applications still don't like to install or run in WINE, and then mapping the peripheral could be a challenge. I don't even like dicking around with that stuff after 20 years of using Linux.

Seems the only point here is to program a mobility scooter. I assume the PC will be retired once again or re-purposed after that. Perhaps that will be the time to install a current Linux distro and do some playing.

Last edited:
The mainstream Linux distributions are not difficult to work with at all. I don't think the various "messages" are more confusing than on Windows. If I'd have to suggest an OS that "just works", I would tend towards Linux rather than Windows.

That said, the OP asked for a solution to program his Mobility scooter through a serial port. Assuming the port settings and the command interface for the Mobility scooter are known, it would be a piece of cake to talk to it from Linux. If the settings and commands are not known: ask the manufacturer for the specifications! If they don't provide it, the scooter is broken by design.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If the manufacturer provides software for Windows that allows the user to easily program the scooter, and then the customer complains that they can't program the scooter via Linux, we all know exactly what the manufacturer will say. Thinking anything else is naive.

OS for old computer

I'm late, again, but have to chime in. When I read your thread title, I immediately though IBM PC XT or AT, and you might be looking for DOS 2.1 or so.

I guess our definitions of "old computer" are different!

But, as long as we're talking about old computers, I have a 5-1/4" floppy disk which contains some ancient audio and acoustics programs which I wrote in BASIC back in about 1982. If anyone here can give me an idea of how to access them, print them, convert them to .txt files, that'd be excellent!

Last edited:
If the manufacturer provides software for Windows that allows the user to easily program the scooter, and then the customer complains that they can't program the scooter via Linux, we all know exactly what the manufacturer will say. Thinking anything else is naive.

The information required to talk to the device is not specific to the operating system. Also, I did not mean to say that the manufacturer should not provide a ready-made program that talks to the device. However, it should be trivial for a manufacturer to provide the information on the command interface and the settings for the serial port, and every manufacturer should do so. The users should be allowed to talk to their device using whatever tools they like.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The OP's questions in this discussion so far seem to indicate basic computer knowledge. Based on this, I am doubtful that he/she is inclined to obtain the raw commands and code and then learn how to use those tools on Linux to program a mobility scooter.

But that's just me being practical, and it assumes a lot about the OP - so maybe I am way off base.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm wondering: if the mouse won't work, maybe the serial port won't either?

I'd be thinking bad mouse. (They DO die, and OP did not report trying another.)

One minor thrill: apparently all versions of Vista are on the one DVD, the feature-level is encoded in the license key. Which is normally on the machine case, though I have seen it worn-off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.