Neighbour listening in to conversation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening everyone, thank you for accepting me into your forum. I hope to learn alot while I'm here. I have a rather strange question for you all but it's really been bugging me. I won't go too much into detail but a drug dealing couple live in my street. For the longest time it's only been the woman with her kids but her drug dealing boyfriend started staying with her and he's been acting very strange. Keeps pacing up and down Infront of my house. We don't share a wall so I think it's too hard for him to try hear me but they parked their car outside my house for four days straight and something is telling me he somehow was listening to me. Money is no problem for these people. Could he have rigged up a mic inside his car and was listening to me? The car is 10 metres from my living room. I know it's a bit "out there" but believe me when I say they are drug dealers. Is it possible? Thank you in advance for any help

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Welcome to the forum.

I takes a very large microphone to get the narrow beam needed to listen in to someone inside a house 10m away. Possible if the environment is very quiet. Is it?
Otherwise the equipment needed would be large and difficult to conceal.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Then it's possible. I clearly hear people on the street 28 meters away when the windows are open. It's quiet here. To get a good recording the windows in the Range Rover would need to need be down, at least a little to poke a mic out.

Can't you just ask them?

Joined 2011
It's quiet at night. They have a large range rover with tinted windows. I meant 5 meters away.

Suggest that you take concerns about this activity to local law enforcement.
In many areas cars cannot be parked on the street for more than a day or two at once
without being moved. However, it may be best if you do not mention the part about
them listening to you, since there is no evidence of that.

Last edited:
The most basic way to avoid eavesdropping is to leave a radio playing in the room.

Monitoring a room from outside can be done at fairly great distances using a laser to a window.

But my expectation is that he waits outside your home for someone to do a pick up. That way if the police investigate he thinks they will look inside your home not his.

I would suggest you be sure there is nothing inside your home that would in any way be linked to drug use or any illegal activity.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Monitoring a room from outside can be done at fairly great distances using a laser to a window.
That is much, much harder than it seems, hardly worth the trouble.

But my expectation is that he waits outside your home for someone to do a pick up.
That would be my thought, too. Just a convenient place to park while doing business either in person or on the phone. But this is an audio forum, so I'd rather stick to technical possibilities.

Are you sure this is not a similar case?
I always give new posters the benefit of the doubt.
To boot, Nibiru is a fiction and even if it existed, it would be millions of kilometers away.

Now THIS situation is possible and in fact happened to me, so I am biased into trusting it:

I moved from *the* posh Neighbourhood in Buenos Aires (Recoleta) to colorful and touristic La Boca district, a semi marginal area in the old Buenos Aires port, home of Tango and great Painters, Poets, Sculptors, etc. but also full of squatter populated derelict tenant houses, etc.

I had to move because working in my former home was impossible, constant problems with neighbours because of my activities (building heavy metal guitar amps doesn´t exactly make you popular amongst them) so I sold it and bought a 19 room 550 sq meter (5300 sq ft) 2 floor in the front, 4 floor in the back old house which you can see on the right.

By day it´s a Tourist hub, but by night ......

Look at the blue and red sunshades/canopies in the background.
There, across the street, some 20 meters away, there was this dealer who sold high quality cocaine.
His door was a veritable parade of taxis and expensive cars, bringing anxious customers, so a grain of caution doesn´t hurt.

He asked them to park "somewhere else", at least some "2 or 3 houses before and across the street":rolleyes:, so guess whose door became the most visited in the block!!!:eek:

I am CERTAIN he´s not spying on you, what for?, but moving his "sales counter" away from his home.

That said, if you wish, you can monitor him, better said his activities at your door, just in case.
He won´t cause you any trouble, he doesn´t want or need attention, specially Police attention, BUT same does not necessarily apply to his customers.

Back to the Audio/Electronics issue, you may copy what I did :

First I drilled a small hole in the door and mounted an "invisible" microphone, a tiny electret capsule, driving an LM386 amplifier driving headphones.
If you are into DIY electronics (you should, if you are here :D ) I can post the very simple circuit, which you can build on perfboard (mine is currently on Protoboard, go figure, since a dead leaky battery ate the old one).
Sensitivity is high enough that I can hear people´s breath and clothes rustling if they stand at my door, and clearly understand normal voice conversations across the street, 12 meters away :cool:

You will definitely hear any conversation around that parked car (not inside if windows are closed and/or engine is running and/or they are playing music at Car Stereo/Radio)
You can *record* them if you hear something shady which might hurt or damage you.

To that I added a camera, inconspicuously mounted in the door.

"Hidden in plain sight", people expect a classic camera in a camera housing or dome, mine is not "invisible" at all, but ignored.
You see it in my picture because I used a flash to illuminate it but in practice it´s behind a glass, but in the dark ... even more so at night.

So in a nutshell: rest assured that you are NOT in any danger, in fact you must be "just part of the background" for the dealer, BUT if you want to monitor what happens at your door, you can do it, for peace of mind.

Attachments

• M886.jpg
    M886.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Puerta.jpg
    Puerta.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 224
That is much, much harder than it seems, hardly worth the trouble.

Pano,
You can buy the gizmos off the internet. However most of then use an infrared laser and separate detector. There is a better way to do it, but that is the kind of knowledge best left off the internet.

Jim,
Recording some folks, when discovered, can be extremely dangerous in some places. Generally younger bad guys overreact and have been known to, in such cases, commit murder. When I had a neighbor dealing, when watched would challenge folks. My solution was to add a motion activated light to illuminate my area.

I did have real major league dealers do a deal in my parking lot once. They figured out it was not as good a location as they thought. Today there is a police sited camera covering the area in addition to mine. Shortly after the first cameras were installed, a fellow stopped by and asked about their coverage area!

Jim,
Recording some folks, when discovered, can be extremely dangerous in some places. Generally younger bad guys overreact and have been known to, in such cases, commit murder. When I had a neighbor dealing, when watched would challenge folks. My solution was to add a motion activated light to illuminate my area.

Motion activated light sounds like a somewhat reasonable, possible solution to start with. If that isn't enough then something else must be done. It probably does not aggravate the problem too much, and there's a possibility that it makes the criminal look for some another place. If your final solution is something that could aggravate the problem (like calling the police), then it's better that you get enough evidence before doing anything. Or that's how I would think. But I think it's better that you do not let him know how much you know about what he's doing.

But I think that it is most important to do something. I used to have a horrible neighbor, and it really had some negative effects on my mental health. Sometimes he would knock my door for a long time, and when I opened, he would just ask me or tell me some very strange things. Some times he would knock my door for half an hour, very early in the morning. Some times he would bang my door really hard with his fists. Often I did not open. He very often waited for me to come home. He always kept his door open to see when I come. There was many other neighbors, but I was the only one he chose to disturb. He was really crazy, and I could see it from his eyes, that he was really serious when he was doing that. Almost like possessed by a devil. He acted like I was crazy, because I didn't understand him. I was always completely unable to predict his next move. He did not confess that he was crazy, and there was no evidence to give to any police.
I didn't want him to know when I'm home and when not, and avoiding him slowly started to make me more and more paranoid. Every time when I heard some small noises from somewhere, I started getting uncomfortable. I didn't know what he wanted from me, he never told, but I knew he wanted something, and very badly. Nobody would go through that much effort just for fun. He was acting like a psychotic psychopath, but smart enough to not cause suspicion in other people. It was really tormenting, and eventually I had to move from that house.

So I will say that really, do something. Don't be stupid, find a smart way to deal with it, but don't let him or anyone other torment you or by stalking you etc.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It's either the address decoy or he's using your wifi, if you have it. If you do, try turning it off for a few hours and see what happens.
Do not ask him to move his business, you will not wish to be blamed when, not if, he gets in trouble.

You might consider a party loud enough to get the local constabulary called.
Or two.
He won't want to be around.

Motion activated light sounds like a somewhat reasonable, possible solution to start with.
Excellent idea, I do not think the supposed dealer is crazy but a "businessman" who for obvious reasons does not want to get it exposed in full view.
Again, I don´t think he´s listening at you (what for?), simply chose your area as "away from his house", I suffered a similar problem.
So I will say that really, do something. Don't be stupid, find a smart way to deal with it, but don't let him or anyone other torment you or by stalking you etc.
Now that is a problem.
A shady dealer wants privacy to earn $$$$, period; a madman is a very different thing.

Not nearby neighbours but I´ve had my share of "complicated" customers, including one who accused me of "stealing his prized Vintage Guitar and substituting it with a perfect but recently manufactured copy" :eek:

Impossible to argue against that, for every detail I pointed at (aged/stained wood, scratched back, rusty screws, bumps all over the place, worn tuning knobs, etc.) he answered that I had made a very good copy but he "clearly felt" it was not his own. :rolleyes:

I had a similar problem in Barcelona ,the same men coming in front of my house everyday .Three months after i discovered why : on the building facade a little unused gas registry with 15 cm door was used to keep the cocaine papers.
If they can they never have the drug with them .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.