Neighbour listening in to conversation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A simple way to get recorded surveillance of the street outside is to put a
dashcam (for cars) in a window. Some have motion detection and only records
when there are movements. Auto exposure works from sunlight down to quite
low light levels. They start automatically when power is applied so a small
AC/DC supply (12 V) on a timer makes it easy to turn it on when things might
happen. Putting the memory card in a computer and watching at higher speed gives
an easy way of quickly checking a night of possible "mischief". VLC is a media
player that is free and has this fast forward function. To be able to record
what happens when you are away or asleep is an advantage.

Used this solution to check who left newspapers halfway outside my mailbox.
Everything was soaked inside the mailbox during rainy weather.

First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for replying to me, I really appreciate it. I'll give an update. When they left and parked their car outside my house I kinda lost it, my anxiety was through the roof and I spoke about them maybe spying on me. Within a couple of weeks after me talking about this they swapped houses with one of their friends. There's also been an unknown car parked near my house for a month. Someone moved it slightly after two weeks and now it's sitting there again for another two weeks. Also they couldn't care less about gardening, they never touched the shed in all this time (it's full of rubbish) but they have cleared out a section near the bottom and have put the lawnmower tipped upwards, I'm not sure if they've put a mic there either. I've been talking about it being all in my imagination to try and calm the situation. My question is, is there a device I can use to detect these mics that might be positioned outside, say, in a car or shed? Thanks again everyone, it's nice to know I'm not alone in all this.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No, there is no practical way to detect the mics. Unless they are using wireless microphones that transmit the signal via radio waves, you can't detect them. And the chances of anyone using wireless mics in this case is slim.

Since you are worried about it, use the simple trick described earlier in this thread. Play music or the TV at a decent volume. That will make it very difficult for anyone trying to listen to understand you. It's a simple and time tested method.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.