Kind advice needed on dc passive filtering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, following the advice from a very kind Moderator of this forum i am quite decided about using dc-dc switching converters as psu.
The reason being that they switch very out of the audio band and potential residual ripple can be easily eliminated with "simple" passive filtering.
Therefore i am about to try a dc-dc switching regulator for a preamp i have at hand working with +/-24V voltage.
My question is ... will just one coil and a bypass cap to ground per rail, as in the pic attached, do the trick ? :rolleyes:
Could someone kindly point me to a calculator for L and C values ?
Moreover ... better to place the filters close to the psu or the preamp circuit ?
Of course any advice would be very welcome
Kind regards, gino

Attachments

• J9NjL.jpg
    J9NjL.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Whether a single LC stage is enough will depend on the output ripple of your DC-DC converter and the susceptibility to rail noise of your preamp circuitry.

LC filter calculators exist but they're generally for designing signal filters with specified load impedance. On a power supply filter the load impedance might not be known, or not well defined. You could have a try with : RF Tools | LC Filters Design Tool

Whether a single LC stage is enough will depend on the output ripple of your DC-DC converter ...

Thank you very much indeed for your kind and valuable advice. Just to be more precise this is the device i would like to try

5-30V to +-5V +-6V +-9V +-10V +-12V +-15V +-24V DC-DC Boost-Buck Converter New | eBay
i see from specs
working frequency:180KHZ
For my task i need +/-24V to power a preamp of which i only know that has low distortion but i know nothing about its PSRR ... that could be not that great
The price of these devices is unbelievably low ... i wonder why no-one is interested by them. As i said at the beginning i was pointed to switching regulators and psu by a Moderator here in the forum :)
I have no access to a spectrum analyzer ... in the end it is my biggest regret
That instrument could tell something about their quality
Ok i admit to be lazy and mean ... but that price ... :eek:
and in order to get complete separation from the grid i could even use a 12V or lipo battery to power the converter i guess
I would love to hear from people who have actually tried them out
I understand that units like dacs and sound cards in particular actually use dc-dc converters to power the circuits and have very low noise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I ran a quick simulation in LTSpice and came up with this filter.

L = 1mH Sumida CDRH127-LDNP102
C = 390uF/35V Rubycon ZLH

The inductor needs a series resistor to reduce the ringing, 0.68R reduced peaking to ~0.5dB. According to LTSpice at 180kHz you can expect about 90dB rejection, that's ignoring the parasitic capacitance of the inductor (coz I don't have that figure to hand).

I ran a quick simulation in LTSpice and came up with this filter...
Thank you very much indeed for your kind and very precious help :eek:
i really need to study this LTSpice ... power supplies are so intriguing to me
I have just played with it for sim two bjts circuits :eek: but never dared to try power supplies my main interest

The inductor needs a series resistor to reduce the ringing, 0.68R
sorry ... placed where ?

... According to LTSpice at 180kHz you can expect about 90dB rejection, ...
great ! so very effective indeed :) Of course i do not have a complete noise spectrum of the regulator stage ... but i truly think i should give it a try
I am pretty convinced that additional dc filtering is key to use these little devices in a line level applications
I really need to study LTSpice ... i do not know its limits ... but it looks like a very powerful design tool indeed. And as i said power supplies are my main interest
(Once i have nailed the psu then i could start thinking to some nice preamp circuits to try out with the psu ... )
Almost the only one :)
Thanks a lot again for your very kind and valuable advice
Kind regards, gino

Last edited:
sorry ... placed where ?

Its a series resistor which means its placed in series with the inductor. Meaning - R - L -. One side of the resistor connects to one side of the inductor. The new component then has two terminals - the unconnected side of the resistor, and the unconnected side of the inductor.

Thanks a lot again for your very kind and valuable advice

You're welcome.

Its a series resistor which means its placed in series with the inductor. Meaning - R - L - ....
Thanks ! and sorry :eek: but there were two options ... before or after the L :)
Now it is completely clear ... an isolation resistor is placed before the stage that needs to be isolated
The circuits i have in mind are class A and they will draw very little current ... like 0.2A max no more
Just to chat a little i have a long term challenge with a friend ... i want to build a line stage that sounds better than his 2kUSD line stage ;) for not more than 1/10th of its price
I have the strong feeling that i can do that because his tube line stage is strong on the midrange but quite weak on the bass. It is a cathode follower without voltage gain ... a tube buffer following an Alps Blue pot let's say
:rolleyes:

R before or after the L won't make a difference. I just chose an order randomly.

If you're DIYing a line stage then yes you should be able to do better for 10% of his cost, assuming he paid retail on boutique equipment. I'm ignorant about valves so have only the wildest guess why the bass on his line stage sucks - not low enough impedance power supply ?

R before or after the L won't make a difference. I just chose an order randomly.
:up:

If you're DIYing a line stage then yes you should be able to do better for 10% of his cost, assuming he paid retail on boutique equipment.
Yes ! he opted for the de-luxe champagne finish ... the wine finish was cheaper :)

I'm ignorant about valves so have only the wildest guess why the bass on his line stage sucks - not low enough impedance power supply ?
i can only say that we compared a solid state line stage with his tube line stage on a pipe organ track ... the solid state line stage shaked the walls the tube pre not at all .. the bass was like soft and not particularly extended
Personally i find a simple sweep test at high enough volume a very telling tool to assess system response
For instance i have discovered that my desk speakers wake up at about 85 Hz and with no sound below that :(
I do not understand why testing with signals is not very popular among audiophile ... they prefer to use so called audiophile recordings :confused:
My friend loved his line stage ... after listening to the solid state preamp is a little puzzled
Midrange from tubes instead is quite nice ... very musical expecially with voices.
Thank you sincerely again. Next step to get a LTSpice for dummies book
Great software indeed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.