Running power indicator off mains

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a power switch that has a built in LED light that supposedly requires 220V and works on AC.

On one hand running anything off mains is something usually frowned upon.

On the other hand, even ignoring the LED, the power switch itself already has mains power running through it.

Is it safe to use something like this?

There are a few approaches you can take..First off, of the three lines of the mains, your ground should go to the chassis as soon as it "gets inside" your chassis. Of both live & neutral, I like to run both immediately into separate fuses...then a DPST switch. Many are of the opinion that two-poles is twice the risk of switch failure, & they opt for a single pole switch.
I'd be trying to cover all the bases when bringing mains power inside.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick......

How about a data sheet on the switch we are talking about.

If the LED has its own terminals on the switch, you can do anything you want with it. If it has an internal resistor so it can run on 240v, that is a separate issue.

I don't see how the LED circuit could turn on the mains to your amplifier though. The LED would be ACROSS the mains, not in series with them, so if a rectifier shorted, it would likely quickly burn out the LED and life would continue.

If you mean a switch with an in-built indicator from a reputable source, then it should be perfectly safe to run from the mains.

An auction site special should be treated with caution. I recently had a perfectly legit looking illuminated switch that was supposed to handle 240VAC but when switched on (thankfully remotely), it exploded. Literally.Exploded.

I will now only use those cheaper sourced switches for low DC duties and without the lamp.

A properly sourced switch with the correct ratings should be safe to use as designed.

Everything (including the switch) should come after the mains fuse for protection and the diode (LED) would tend to fail open circuit anyway and as Enzo said, 'life would continue..' :)

You guys are right the LED will likely burn out.

I have the switches for a while, I have no idea who made them, and certainly no datasheet. It's one of those round metal waterproof switches. They used to be quite expensive but now there are lots of cheap copies out there.

I have used the expensive ones in the past and they are good. I have also used the cheap ones for PC power/reset switch, but never for mains power. Since I have two unused ones I am guessing they can't cost much, judging from multi-meter reading one of them looks like it has contact problem. Probably will not risk with the good one, especially I have other switches I can use.

The amp will certainly be fused and earthed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.