555 timer and TV refresh rate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm trying to generate a composite video signal. I had done this many years ago and it was working with an old TV with a 50Hz refresh rate. That is a 25Hz frame frequency and 625 horizontal lines. The circuit was very simple and it was based on 555 timer. Please see attachments. But now I want to make it work with a PC monitor and these have a 60Hz refresh rate. So, the question is how to adjust the circuit for 60Hz? I guess for the vertical sweep it might be as easy as to adjust the frequency with the trim pot.(?) But I can't find any info about the horizontal sweep i.e. the square wave shape. If you could enlighten me about all this or if you could suggest another circuit that works it would be great!

Attachments

• Schematic.JPG
    Schematic.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 84
  • a.JPG
    a.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 94
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The line scan rate is much much higher in a typical monitor compared to TV. You could be looking at 100kHz +

The 64u is the time of one line of video information and is the reciprocal of the line scan rate, so 1/15625 for the UK PAL system and the line scan rate is the number of lines multiplied by the frame rate (so 625*25).

The monitors actual line scan rate will depend on the resolution of the monitor but will be a lot higher than an old analogue TV.

The sweep signal is a triangle or rather a sawtooth wave, IIRC. The interval of the composite color signal is 63.5uS.

In the attached circuit, the BC307 generates the sawtooth wave and the 555 the square wave. All I know is that the composite video is taken from the 555. Thanks for the links! I'll take the time to read these.

The line scan rate is much much higher in a typical monitor compared to TV. You could be looking at 100kHz +....

That explains a lot of what I was missing... Thanks! I'll have to try some things. What puzzles me is the 64/12 μs ratio of this square wave. Is there a fixed ratio as I'll be going for higher frequency?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 12u second is the total of the all the components that go to make up the proper horizontal sync pulse on the PAL system.

There is the 1.55u front porch, the 4.7u sync pulse and a 5.8u back porch. All that adds up to the 12.05u sync/blanking pulse.

I'm afraid I've never worked on CRT monitors and so don't know what you would expect there tbh.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-29 180238.jpg
    Annotation 2020-07-29 180238.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 67
I just had a brief look at the pdf attached by Pano and it seems to provide all this info. I need to read it more carefully. It's not about driving CRT deflection coils. It's purely video (VGA) signal. Your replies gave me something to work with. Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.