An Unorthodox and Affordable 1st Class System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The expander makes a good contribution to that effect.

You're the ONLY person I've seen here using the ReaXcomp as a multiband expander. I've tried to get some traction on using VXT plug-ins for home stereo here but only received dial-tone in response... Same with bringing up the DBX 3BX - how about nBX? Dial tone - or, why would you want that?

Please elaborate, as I use it too and would like to know much more about your configuration of it, the particular band frequencies you use and the threshold settings. I agree that it makes a positive, clear and present difference in the dynamics when used "properly".

The only thing that scares me about it is there's only ONE ReaXcomp (where the author has had the foresight to even have it be able to do expansion - and happens to give it away for free) I'm quite excited to read that you're using this - the only one I know besides me. (I'd be willing to take the conversation off line so as not to derail this thread over just the one aspect)

Thanks for your very interesting post! Way to go!

Last edited:
A few of the posted images are screenshots containing reaxcomp, one in foobar and two in VST Plugin Analyser. They are only a shot of the lowest band, but all parameters except of course frequency and also gain (the slider set to -8.8 in the image) are common to every band. The latter is what must be adjusted to produce flat response and minimized phase in each band, it's tricky, and it's different for every choice of sample rate. That's why I'd recommend getting your hands on VST Plugin Analyser. Version 2 seems to be on hold, but I do believe version 1 is still available in a few spots. It is free. Very high strung, but once you get used to its non-crash sequencing, not so bad (e.g. before you change sample rate, shut off autoupdate; then after, put it back on).

I have no idea what sample rate you'd want, nor whether the platform has any effect. Thus it would probably be best for you to acquire this stuff and dive in, using my template as a starting point. You may like the result with a larger multiplier and fewer bands also; they are of course somewhat easier to tune. Also, attenuation on the bands seems to increase by about 1dB per band as they go higher (on a 10-band); might be a good starting point. I usually start the tuning at the high end and creep down the bands.

Anyway, try that first. You'll have to get there anyway if you want to be able to use reaxcomp effectively, and you'll have a tool to test your VSTs available as a bonus. Let me know how it goes. You can post or send a PM if you wish.

Last edited:
I've got the stuff, and probably will be limited to 44.1 K due to my music source material investment and the particular amplifier I'm using. I've setup just 4 bands, but of course 10 is far more appealing. I'm running it in Equalizer APO. My FR speakers need to be "de-characterized" using hopefully a minimal number of filters to do so. 10 bands from the ReaXcomp + a parametic should do it.

Is the setup workflow something like: 1st setup the 10 bands, then the band levels with zero expansion effect to setup any necessary system EQ. (One way to do that is using a pink noise recording and a phone or PC based 1/n'th octave analysis app) 2nd, start to bring in expansion by dropping the threshold and increasing the expansion ratio. How you initially place the threshold level seems to be a wildcard. The expansion ratio can be set all at the same value initially, to work on the threshold levels. I assume this part would have to be done listening to a wide range of recording styles to get it dialed in.

When I listen to the pink noise through this compander in 4 bands, it sounds more "roiling" to me. Unexpanded pink noise sounds more flat. I assume this is due to the random noise signal within each frequency band being different than its neighbor. Leading to the individual band levels moving up and back randomly. This has a particular sound to it. I bet you can tune the levels and ratios easily using pink noise. Using a spectrum analyzer, I would expect the implemented frequency band levels to dance a bit more, as the expansion settings are taking effect.

>I usually start the tuning at the high end and creep down the bands.

Got it. Time to drive the family nuts with "And noww, time for some pink noise!"

Last edited:
Ok, sounds like a good start. Do try VST Plugin Analyzer also though, it was a big help to me once I got used to it. It defaults to 44.1k so you won't need to worry about that. You may want to minimize phase shift with it. That correlates directly to a flat output curve with reaxcomp it seems, at least according to VST PA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.