An oxygen question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not that clever - 6 characters in '.co.uk'.
In contrast, '.au' is just 3.

Yes, but the UK owns '.co.uk'. Does not have to fight USA interests. (And it segregates "company" from "UK general", which '.au' does not do (maybe not needed downunder?).)

I believe there are three of us Maple leafers, if this is the community of which you speak PRR.....

Aside from the fine north North Americans who man the mops in shifts, there is a significant contingent of Canadians among the "ordinary members". (Though some seem to be ex-Yanks.)

And, I must say, from EVERYWHERE. I'm learning about exotic cities and distant islands I never knew much about before.

Quote (And it segregates "company" from "UK general", which '.au' does not do (maybe not needed downunder?).)

We have all the usual qualifiers in the domain - dot com dot au dot gov dot au dot edu dot au and others. Must be a list somewhere of the codes that precede all the different country

codes in use. We also use the plain dot com

However, afaik, our schools teach that oxides are compounds containing oxygen and oxidation is the process of creating that oxide. More generally, all chemical reactions involve the sharing of electrons and this is not referred to as 'oxidation' unless oxygen is involved. Or unless one is in the US apparently.

Interesting.

You mean there is a silver or copper conductor, wrapped in a teflon protection sleeve with some spacer, so that there is air between the conductor and the sleeve?
The answer is that air is not pure nitrogen and oxygen. There is some pollution like sulphur dioxide that cause tarnishing silver over time. Same with copper. It is not possible to make such construction air tight.
But I found the conductor is always shiny when I remove the plastic insulator from any insulated copper wire, however old it could be.

Sorry matey but it is possible to make an airtight construction. I don't use the stupid outdated screw to hold the dialetric - what a really bad idea - I use heat shrink that seals the construction. How can external air enter the construction except under forced pressure of which there is none.

The air we breathe is the same as that to which uninsulated bare copper or silver wire is exposed to namely - oxygen 21% / nitrogen 78% and traces of carbon dioxide, argon, methane, helium and a couple of other gases I wanted to know if oxygen changes into something else.

After 10 years it would appear that there needs to be a certain percentage of oxygen in relation to 'free spac' to create the conditions for oxides/sulphur to form.

I shall go ahead and make bare copper i/connects using oversized FEP tubing. In a couple of years I will open up an i/c to see what if anything has changed.

Using MWS silver/plated OFHC wire (silver plating, 20 microns) produced a neutral sound and high purity silver added just a touch of warmth. Not my findings but the opinions of those I used to test both types and no the 'testers' did'nt know what conductors I used as the only differentiation was the colour of the sheathing used. Only when everyone had tested both types were opinions asked for. Across different continents and age groups the similarity of findings was identical which surprised me.

Will using a diluted Pro-Gold film on the conductors add protection and or will it interfere with signal propogation as according to Heaviside - electricity travels not only within a conductor but around it as well, hence my use of oversized dialectric. Once I did there was no going back to using tightly wrapped dialectric ever again - theory from practice.

Hm, only time will tell whether you are right or not. I understand you want to DIY a good sounding interconnect, with silver (plated) conductor and air dielectric, protected by some larger diameter sleeve, made it airtight.

One thing is sure: if the plastic insulator or protective outer sleeve has even the slightest smell, it will attack the conductor. This is a very simple test: smell it. If you want to be sure, heat up the plastic insulator or sleeve with a hot air gun, or just touch it with a soldering iron. If it smells, it will do harm on a long term, because it emits harmful odours even at room temperature. It takes much time, but it does.

Icsaszar - it maybe a language thing but I do not intend to use silver/plated copper, read my post again - used silver/plated copper because of the 'received wisdom that bare copper would oxidise.

Neither TEFLON or FEP tubing inter reacts with conductors - read my post again - after 10 years in plastic snap top bags neither silver or copper showed any signs of degradation and neither have i/connects I made at the same time. The question was about oxygen in a closed situation. I just wanted to know if it's chemical structure changed over time, that's all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.