crossover question for a sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I blazed away at this for a day. I knew it would be cut apart again, but by building the thing you can see where you've gone wrong. I need to make a much lighter, smaller version, this one is too heavy to set off for a walk with. You would drag this version around.

It's a nice object though, I should add, it works well. I'll rebuild it, the next one will have a smaller sub, a smaller battery and I'll use lighter steel.

Dorsnt have any battery fitted in the below pics, but it does have a place to hold one.

qmsXDCp.jpg

L7vVAAM.jpg

5rkQCyD.jpg

If anyone has suggestions for a smaller subwoofer I'm all ears. Its a pity this size doesnt work.

Uoim1cv.png

Last edited:
this thread is getting a bit long in the tooth. Looking outside on this forum, there doesn't really seem to be a place for a stupid project like this. I mean its hardly hi-fi.

So I'll finish up. When it's complete I'll chime back and add a photo.

For the moment, I've decided a few things:

1. Any 2.1 or 5.1 surround sound sub setup will do, mainly because modern car amps will run them.

2. Lighter is better

3. More power will turn your neighbours against you, seriously.

I've bought a pretty standard and very common Sony surround system to try out. The Sony subwoofer is 6kg , compared to Pioneer sub which was 9kg.

The Pioneer is way louder but I don't want to get evicted, I rent.
So the Sony is fine.

WkclTfW.png

Nice of you to say Abraxalito. I'll muddle on then in this thread.

When Im happy with the sound, I will build the final frame to carry whatever the components might be. Thats a while off though.

Whatever form its currently in, its getting used every evening. It's evolving.

COdPuRK.png

You are in luck then cos there is more. It's getting smaller, I can bring it into the house now.

ello-xhdpi-5681415c.jpg

ello-xhdpi-07ce45e3.jpg

The crossover arrives next week at which point I'll start using the alpine amp. So this whole frame is temporary, its a prototype.

I think what I am going to do is select a suitable current Home Cinema subwoofer from Sony that fits the weight rating I desire, buy it and build the final version around that. I reckon I'll get more power per kg from a modern day one.

Last edited:
made it smaller again yesterday and added a base so it can stand upright like its ancestors.
Have yet to fix the speakers in place and also to make a handle.

V05zUkl.png

vPzDlQK.jpg

XlXNhd3.jpg

Can I power 4 of those small speakers from 1 channel on the alpine? - and how would I do that...

My simpleton monkey brain is telling me split them into 2 groups, of two speakers.

They are each 3 ohms, so I'm thinking wire two 3ohm speakers in series to make them 6 ohms,

and then repeat that with the other two and connect them all to the same channel.

So the amp would see 6 ohms, I think.

I am not sure is that right, or will it destroy my amplifier.

Last edited:
You're turning out some mighty-pretty work, there.:cheers:

On the subject of 4 small speakers on one amp channel: Wired the way you described would present the same load to the amp as would one speaker. Each one gets one-fourth of the power, so altogether they can accept 4 times more -- even though the amp doesn't know the difference between that and a single driver.

Cheers

Attachments

• 4 drvrs series-paral.jpg
    4 drvrs series-paral.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 23
So I fixed that one in the pic above together and then I left it at that. It looks like a noise cannon.

I received the crossover that Abraxalito made for me today in the post, and it is a really nice little thing, I really like it, thank you Abraxalito.

AfTFIhq.png

That arriving was motivation enough to go out and start building Mk. III tonight. The one above is too big, it could be much smaller. Mk. III will be much smaller.

chMnhXI.png

cEh55wO.png

trying to save the felt to some degree, so masked it with painters tape and then added some tinfoil when welding.
Only tacked it together when clamped to the box, you can see that the tinfoil took hits

TAxGz4O.png

generally worked pretty good though

y5ZBVnp.png

Will prob shorten it to just behind the wheels here

vVWYGDF.png

RIs15LD.png

4fUX6Sr.png

Last edited:
Rick cheers!

I have killed amps before i think due to wrong ohm-age. So I find it hard to conceive that the four speakers on one channel won't damage the amp. But I guess it won't..... You know better than me.

Which brings me onto an interesting point. Those pioneer subwoofers, are twin 2 ohm coils

When I try to wire them in parallel I get 1 ohm, shouldn't I get 2 ohm?

Measured apart they are 2 ohm each.

Without realising, I was running the sub at 1 ohm on the JBL amp. The wires were blackened where I connected them to the subwoofer wires, looks like there was a lot of heat.

When wired at 4 ohm the setup is only half as loud. Not ideal.

Last edited:
Wow -- heat-damaged speaker wires! Haven't seen that in a while ;) And the JBL amp didn't beg for mercy or pop a fuse? Color me impressed. Of course, enough wire/connect-point resistance to get hot suggests the amp may not have seen the full 1 ohm. An extra 1/2 or 2/3 of an ohm could've been what saved the amp.
When wired at 4 ohm the setup is only half as loud. Not ideal.
Yep, you were probably getting a stu-u-upid amount of power out of that amp at ~1 ohm. The important question (to me, at least) is whether the sub is loud enough to 'balance properly' with the other speakers and their amp channel.

Best Regards

So wanted to find out how many amps the Alpine would draw. I failed miserably to test it with my multimeter (both are rubbish, myself and the multimeter) but I do have quite a few 12v wall chargers.

Turns out it will run at max volume (for this setup) on two amps.

So if I buy a 50ah battery it will run for 24 hours at that volume, and, I can but a 20 watt solar panel that should be able to power it at lower volumes.

aOjwG38.png

Playing with the crossover Abraxalito made for me, it sounds great. tried it without the crossover, since the sub is bandpass, but, there are lots of sounds from the upper ranges remaining so its much cleaner with the low pass filter.

Found I had a suitable power supply, and its good quality so no hum I think, I wasnt paying attention. Tried out the fusion bluetooth module and its sounds great actually, really quite loud the whole thing is.

kFl9AZC.jpg

This evening wrapped the alpine in painters tape then started trying to figure out the layout

4MC9rmI.jpg

any remaining space will be a lifepo4 battery. Might be able to make it shorter still.

7MLDDbu.jpg

Love the crossover case!;) 10 or 12 gauge mild steel rectangular butt weld, maybe 2-1/2 by 5 or 6 inches? So handy -- and 'free' magnetic shielding! Never would've thought of that, and I've got some similar laying around somewhere. Thanks!

Plus, it looks like you're having fun. Good on ya'.

Regards

going to get this operational soon and then finish it later. I need to find a decent roller bag retractable handle, and then weld it onto this thing

IB9dmqY.png

I have other projects to get on with so I'm going to rush this to make it work and then leave it for a while.

U00vNdL.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.