fiber optic cable jacket diameter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

Does anybody know some typical outside diameters of fiber optic cable jackets? I am asking about the cables used by internet service providers to get service to the subscriber's house.

background:

I am getting new internet service soon. It will be fiber optic cable to my house. The cable will be pulled through a buried conduit, the far end of which is at a higher elevation than my house. I need a water-tight seal at the far end or else the conduit will bring water to the foundation of my house. I see that conduit plugs exist with a hole for the cable, and one of these would solve my problem. But I need to know the diameter of the cable, and I cannot get through to an installer, and the "front desk" people at the ISP don't know anything about diameters.

Can anyone help? My ISP will be Consolidated Communications, I am in Sacramento, CA., and the conduit is 2" PVC.

Thanks,

Tom

Joined 2011
They installed pre-terminated fiber optic cable here, and the connector is much larger
than the cable itself (which looks roughly 0.15" dia.). I suspect this is typically the case,
as field termination of a fiber cable would be problematic.

Last edited:
It is hard to say the exact diameter because it is going to vary according to your local installer preferences.
It will likely be multi strand cable because the cost so much for labor if it has to be replaced. They would rather just have to do a new connector rather than install a whole new cable.
The cable will not likely have connectors on it because the cable will be cut to length and you do not want to risk the connectors being pulled through a conduit.You need to find out who the cable installer will be because it will likely be sub-contracted out.
There might be other options that would work better so it would work best if you can find out who will actually be installing the cable.

Thanks everyone!

The installer is Consolidated Communications. I did email someone who briefly corresponded with me, and should be familiar with procedures, but has twice avoided my question regarding the diameter of the cable.

Maybe they run into a lot of silly questions, or have to streamline their process to be efficient, or maybe the diameter varies (but not over an unlimited range; why can't they tell me something?). I have been told this is a great company with great service. I just can't afford to have that conduit unplugged during the rainy season!

I have found this type, that looks like I can install it after-the-fact. I guess this is all I can do!

https://calam.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Simplex-Duct-Plugs-INSTALLATION-INSTRUCTION-Final.pdf

There is always flex-seal . . .

Tom

twice avoided my question regarding the diameter of the cable.

perhaps the installer would rather answer a question about your concern, ie how to prevent water from entering your home via the conduit. As it is you are asking something he may not even know. You are asking a specific about his cable so you can effect a solution you have in mind, while this is not likely the first time this issue has come up for the installer.

Consolidated sounds like the ISP, but they may hire local contractors to do the installs. That is generally the case here in mid-Michigan.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I used spray foam, like to install windows, after an accident brought big water in around my underground power entry. Put the tube in the conduit all the way, spurt while pulling tube out. It will over-expand; when cured, trim with a plastic knife or shard.

It may not be 100.000% waterproof but I have not seen a drop come through.

If it is ever necessary to pull new cable the foam cuts easily.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.