Cheap battery powered Bluetooth receiver: Are they all the same?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a cheap BT receiver with battery, for my vintage ghettoblaster to make music from my iPhone wireless.
And by cheap I mean one of the no-name (no a requirement of course) Bluetooth dongles for under, lets say, a $50/€45.
This is just a lark and the SQ while decent and use cases of the blaster, doesn't warrant big expenditure.

Are they all the same, or are there some that are clearly better?
Are there things to look out for and models to avoid?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have found that they very widely. Some are very good at at paring and locking onto the signal, other are not good at all. Some have very clean sound, others are full of hiss.

However, I have only used BT receivers that are powered by an external "wall wart" type supply or those built into an amplifier board. I have not used stand alone battery powered.

What has worked well for me are the brands Sure, Logitech, Amazon, Dayton, Esinkin.
EDIT: I had good luck with Tinysine BT modules that are small enough be added to a boombox. All BT receivers seem to run off 5 volts.

What has been bad are cheap versions off eBay. Only about 30% success rate there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.