directional 5hz frequency to put out a cigarette?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive kinda got an idea to make a contraption that will put out a cigarette from a distance with the 5hz frequency. I started by looking up what frequency puts out fire and then an article led me to infrasonic. Anyone know the direction I need to go to build this thing? Thanks for any help before hand. Have a great day!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> put out a cigarette from a distance

Garden hose.

A directional sound source with useful efficiency is big in inverse proportion to frequency. To get a 60 degree beam at 1,000Hz you need a mouth about a foot across. At 5Hz this will be about 200 feet. 60 degrees is a very wide beam, and most of the energy will miss a 101mm cigarette. You really want less than 1 degree. So 60 times bigger, 12,000 feet or a 2-mile mouth.

There are end-fired arrays which use less mouth but more length, and still trade-off efficiency for "size". You could maybe do 5000 feet long and 10 feet wide.

@ PRR:

OMG, that was hilarious! And explained from a technical point of view too with calculations.

To put out a cigarette you can use carbon dioxide if want to go the expensive way. If you want to be cooler, you can use argon or pure nitrogen. AND... if you want to do it the Flintstones way, you can use a small rock and press the burning tip against it.

@PRR Thanks for the reply. Honestly, its just a funny idea i had.well, I was thinking about how smokers smoke within that 100ft from the door of businesses . What if you could create a way to use sound to extinguish the cigarette from say within @tnt 100ft. I was thinking that first you could use a infrared sensor to locate the ember and direct some sorta wave to extinguish it, but then how would you extinguish it from that distance.LOL!! I dont know, I have these little ideas that I find humorous and wonder if its possible to do.Thanks ya'll for your reply's both humorous and humorous.
@elvee not sure a what a vortex ring is. @edbarx yeah thats too easy lets get more creative than that.
Anyways, thanks everyone for the ideas

Another way is to use a smoke sensor but you have to create one that smells tobacco smoke. The sensor would send a signal to a computer which plays a sound track instructing customers smoking is not allowed. In this way you are less invasive and you can use polite language in the message.

Ive kinda got an idea to make a contraption that will put out a cigarette from a distance with the 5hz frequency. I started by looking up what frequency puts out fire and then an article led me to infrasonic. Anyone know the direction I need to go to build this thing? Thanks for any help before hand. Have a great day!
Short answer: you can not do that.

Not sure where you got that idea from, which is wrong on so many points, but for one, for all practical means 5Hz waves are not directional so you will never ever be able to focus that wave on a cigarette.

Besides, to get enough sound pressure 100 ft away, SPL at the source would need to be horrendous.

Doubt a stick of dynamite would put out a cigarette 100 ft away, and even if it did, (iffy) , that will show the pressures involved.

Look at the Wiki article, or search the web.
It could be created by an impulse driven woofer, and a suitable wave shaping "cannon".
Look at this demo, blowing candles from 180 feet:
Massive Air Vortex Candle Cannon Built: It Blows, Bigstyle

It is still massive, but can probably be optimized
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Clearly here no woofer is involved, but some kind of explosion.
Gas/fuel vapour + air oxygen mixture?

Makes me think of spud cannons, where a similar mix (sprayed alcohol vapours of butane) is used to create a relatively controlled explosion ("deflagration" actually) (wouldn´t use the word "safe" though) to propel potatoes some distance away.

Without the potato it will create something very similar to what the "vortex cannon" does.

YouTube

In any case, a single *Pulse*

5 Hz? no way.

And blowing candles is WAY easier than blowing cigarettes off.

In fact, I back what Enzo says, the cigarette will probably light UP , not OFF.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...Clearly here no woofer is involved, but some kind of explosion. Gas/fuel vapour + air oxygen mixture?....

Watch the video. Action scene

The back of the "cannon" is a rubber sheet. With a string on it. The usual hand-size cannon, you pull the string with your free hand. This mega-cannon has a rope/strap and a hefty guy pulling it.

I've smoked. You can't blow-out a cigarette before you blow the smokers down the street.

I do like Galu's technique. 100 feet is very far-field for a garden hose but very near-field for bagpipes.

Attachments

• CandleCannon-42.jpg
    CandleCannon-42.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 104
  • CandleCannon-2-42.jpg
    CandleCannon-2-42.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.