Home sound system? Rookie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello I’m Gary,
I’m new to the forum and also to the world of home cinemas!

I don’t have a clue what to do but, I want something set up in my bedroom , I can run cables in the loft and get a speaker to each corner of the room and even get the cables down the wall to potentially be behind my tv.

The only thing I don’t know if that’s the way of doing things?
The Tv will be used for watching movies and general tv and playing my computer so would love the sound to be all around my room.

can someone point me to the right equipment, I don’t want to spend loads at all. After all as it won’t be used all the time maybe a couple hours on a weekend.

Thanks

Gary

This can range from a simple Home Theatre PC setup (which can be installed on your gaming rig) all the way to tens of thousands of dollars of high end audio gear.

Questions to ask yourself...
Are you looking for a full on home theatre setup or is it really just surround sound computer speakers?

How much money can you spend?

How much room do you have to accommodate speakers and other gear?

Who is on the other side of your walls?
Are you a loud listener or a quiet one?
(i.e. how much sound proofing do you need?)

Can you rearrange your room to accommodate the new gear?

...and so on...

Until you have a clear idea what you want, it's pretty hard for anyone to offer a decent suggestion.

as for Douglas Blake

I think that Gary2020 has a good idea on what he wants and is quite clear.

This I got from reading his post.
1- a small computer based HT setup for his bedroom
2- surround sound - i.e., 4 or maybe 5 speakers
3- inexpensive
4- most probably there is no sound insulation between the walls
5- most probably family members on the other side of his bedroom - I'm sure.
6- will not be used on a daily basis
All your points answered. Not more complicated than that.

Fred P

I think that Gary2020 has a good idea on what he wants and is quite clear.

Not exactly. There's still the matter of budget, space and room size to be considered. Since when is it wrong to ask for more information?

Not too long ago I was asked about converting a basement rec room. It started out with Creative 5.1 speakers but by the time the guy was done making decisions, it ended up with an HTPC, custom software, a rack of 3 Crown XLS amps and Fluance surround sound with a huge TV display. Clearly he had no idea what was out there, what could be done and changed his tune substantially as he learned.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the posts

The bedroom is about 7ft by 12ft. Not very big at all..

Like I said in my initial post I don’t want to be a lot of money, as this room will be used for entertainment on a weekend but only for a few hours at a time.

Figure wise I wouldn’t want to be spending anything more than £1000! Even that is pushing the margin, if someone can recommend me something which is under £500 then please send me that wY lol.

Any links to kits or anything that will help me will be great

Hello,

I think that one does not need more than a pair of speakers and a decent class ab stereo integrated amp. A good size would be 6.5" midwoofer and 1.1" tweeter.

Imo, a better option would be one pair of decent speakers than a 5.1 home cinema set of a lesser quality for the same price.

As an example:
Rotel A10
Canton Vento 862.2

Last edited:
I dont know a lot about home theatre stuff but I would look at a 2nd hand amp that has a digital in and can power a 5.1 system, so 5 speakers and a sub. Then I would look for some 2nd hand hifi speakers, not sure how much you want to spend but I would get some decent ones for the front L + R and then some cheaper small ones for the rear. You might not need a sub if you have space for large-ish speakers.

Good budget speakers would be something like Mordaunt Short MS20i for the front, anything made by Tannoy, Mission, older KEFs are quite good etc, well known brands, I would aim for a 6" speaker cone at least to get decent volume and bass. Dont think the back ones are too critical, something small would do.

You might not need a centre channel speaker, I just use a good pair of hifi speakers each side of the screen. Or you could gradually build up your speaker collection and add extra ones on.

Heres the type of amp I mean, I think you can plug a digital input in from your video player/PC and it will pump up the sound to the various speakers.

YAMAHA RX-V757 Home Cinema AV Amplifier - Model DSP-AX757SE - plus manual | eBay

Maybe something like these for the rears, or even something smaller.

KEF Coda 7 Vintage High resolution Stereo Bookshelf Loud Speakers Pair SP 3192 | eBay

Some more.
MISSION E32 Bookshelf | eBay

KEF Cara speakers, 100 Watt | eBay

I'm almost selecting these at random but they are good makes, 80s / 90s stuff tends to be very good value. Its really going to depend on how much room you have in the room to fit them.

This might be a better option. If you search ebay for surround speakers and press the ebay button to just show used stuff you should come up with loads of bargains.

Yamaha Speaker System Surround | eBay

Yamaha surround sound system RX-V440 RDS cinema receiver sub woofer and speakers | eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.