Reproduction - Y/N?

The stereo system architecture have the properties for absolute faithful reproduction

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is a poll regarding a fundamental question about the stereo system architecture. And it's a hard one, only Yes or No is a valid answer. Here it goes:

- Do you believe that the stereo system architecture (2..n mic, 2 channels, 2 speakers) have the properties to faithfully reproduce a live audio event like a guitar, piano or a symphony orchestra so that when your blind fold was removed you where surprised of what you saw.

Yes, I believe the basic stereo system architecture has the properties to be able to completely fool the listener to think he/she has heard a live event.

No, I don't believe the stereo system architecture has the properties to be able to completely fool the listener to think he/she has heard a live event.

NB: The question is not about if there exists or have existed a system that is able to do this (if you belive this, please vote Yes), the question is about if it would at all be possible given the architecture.

Remember: It's your opinion, not what other may think, that is polled for.

Is stereo fit to pass the Turing test?

//

Last edited:
Yes, BUT... people believe with their ears. they will hear the strong rich bottom coming from their speakers, "just like live", until they hear a better system. Only then do they hear the shortcoming.

Most people go though life never hearing a pure performance with no technical augmentation. it has always been coming through speakers for them.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No, anyone who has spent any time in a concert hall or listening to acoustic music or an organ in a large space will know this.

Doesn't mean it isn't a great facsimile in some cases or that it doesn't bring great pleasure in listening.

In 50 years of continuous audio tinkering I've come a long way and almost persuaded myself a few times, but no.

I just voted NO.
Most of my listening is to classical orchestral music of some kind. Imaging 40/60/80 musicians in the room is just not possible. However sound wise it can be okay.

Nevertheless, I have heard Avantegarde Trio speakers twice. This is the closest thing I ever heard to having the band in the room. But these speakers are so big I wouldn't be able to even get them through the door into the house.

I'm sorry, but for me it is too ambiguous to answer.
In-ears and alike are excluded or.....
Means "you" me or any person?

Turing test would mean being principially unable to find out if real or reproduced, which is something different than being unable for specific acoustical events.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm sorry, but for me it is too ambiguous to answer.
In-ears and alike are excluded or.....
Means "you" me or any person?

Turing test would mean being principially unable to find out if real or reproduced, which is something different than being unable for specific acoustical events.

Really, you cant get the basic gist of the question. It's not about an actual speaker or headphone, it is about the stereo system. As a concept, an architecture. Does the architecture have what it takes to pass the Turing test?

I quote from post #1: "Remember: It's your opinion, not what other may think, that is polled for."

Please try again.

//

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.