Advice for TV Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently gotten back into woodworking and seeing so many great DIY speaker projects online/youtube and well... my small basic Sony 2.1 soundbar has worked fine for years, but I think time to upgrade.

Because of the room, I'm looking to build a 2.0 or 2.1 system. My seating is against the wall so, no space for rear speakers... also an opening on either sides, so rears if I forced them in, would be a foot from my head, and not wanting that.

Just looking for ideas/suggestions on what I would need for this build in terms of power.

I like my setup now, because TV plugs into the soundbar, and my TV remote adjusts the volume. I don't have a big receiver, lots of wires, a separate remote, etc....

Looking for something that works the same and with just as simple of a setup. Not looking to spend thousands on speakers and electronics... something a bit more entry level that's at least better than the Sony I have now. I see a lot of DIY speaker plans online... but all are just speakers, maybe crossovers as well, but nothing about power.

Any suggestions? Can it be done where the TV volume on the remote adjusts the volume? My soundbar now does it, but it's also connected via HDMI... not just a straight amp with audio jacks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What is the connection from the TV to the sound bar? Should be able to use the same thing to connect the TV to a real hifi. Something i have done for many decades (don’t set the LS3/5A on top of the 13” Sony Trinitron :^)

That opens up a wide range of possibilities. How are you for speaker placement? Budget?

dave

Well, like the OP says, it's HDMI to my sound bar right now.

By hifi, do you mean a receiver? Also mentioned I don't want any type of receiver. Last thing I want is some big clunky receiver taking up space for 1 thing. They were great when I use to have a tv, DVD, VHS, Nintendo and record player all hooked up together, but now it's just a tv and android box. Very clean and minimal.

Placement wise... It's a 55" TV, I'm about 10 feet from it. Plan was to make a pair of floor standing speakers, one on either side. If enough bass from that, great, otherwise maybe need to build a sub as well. Maybe a way to put the amp in the sub and plug the tv audio into that as well as the speakers?

No set budget yet, but definitely not spending a grand on it or anything... Just too out of budget for something that may or may not sound good. :)

Trying to figure out the amp part of it and kinda plan from there.

Found a few plans I like but components are crazy, like $250 each tweeter... Yikes. I'm sure there are cheap options better than a $150 Sony sound bar though.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, like the OP says, it's HDMI to my sound bar right now.

Missed that. HDMI is just DVI with the audio stream added using a not well thot out connector. You can get audio out of that when any amplifier/preamp with an HDMI connector and i would not be surprised if there is an adaptor to extract that audio and send it to a DAC. Does your TV also have an analog output or a digiyal audio out other than HDMI. Where does the TV get its signal from (with my current set-up i have the choice of analog out of the cable box or optivcal out of the TV (at least i will after i get teh new 15” cable connected (i need help with that — takes 2 people to get at the connector in the TV)

By hifi, do you mean a receiver?

That would be the re-amp/pweramp/tuner part of a hifi (hifi is an archaic term for a “stereo” that is regaining use).

Last thing I want is some big clunky receiver taking up space

You will need at least the poweramp part of a receiver, and unless you have analog out of the TV or the Android box) you will also need a DAC to convert HDMI audio to analog to drive rthe amp. This ca be built into the speaker.

Placement wise... It's a 55" TV, I'm about 10 feet from it. Plan was to make a pair of floor standing speakers, one on either side.

Pretty much the same here.

If enough bass from that, great, otherwise maybe need to build a sub as well.

For movie/TV a 2.1 approach is often most appropriate (Geddes).

dave

I've been watching some YouTube vids, not only builds but how to use that software for designing crossovers. I suspect most DIY build plans were made for specific speakers, and so far those have been out of my budget. Figured whatever I build I'll probably need to learn about the curves and crossovers etc...

I was looking at subwoofer amp plates, and thought those powered the left/right speakers but, a bit confused when I looked at them a bit more. I see something called speaker level in, but nothing for speaker out. Figured maybe there was something I could build into the sub to plug the TV into and run the speakers from.

Wow... didn't realize there were no rca jacks on that TV. I was mostly interested at the time in HDMI and one with ARC support for the sound bar. Looks like an optical and headphone jack only, rest all HDMI.

TCL 55R615-CA

Does seem to be a lot of HDMI audio extractor boxes out there though.

Oh... how about something like this?

SA-100 Subwoofer Amp

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FR = full range. A 1-way speaker system.

Here are some of mine:

dave

FR= Full-range, A single full range driver designed to cover all the frequencies.
These drivers have come a long way for awhile now...I have a 1963? vintage Leea brand 1222XE twelve-inch full-range as my mains now.
I was thinking for you a pair of Visaton BG20 eight inchers, $40 USD each , in a 124.6 liter enclosure might do the trick.

------------------------------------------------------------------Rick........

Wow... didn't realize there were no rca jacks on that TV. I was mostly interested at the time in HDMI and one with ARC support for the sound bar. Looks like an optical and headphone jack only, rest all HDMI.

The usual setup for this is a mini-amp and a nice pair of bookshelf speakers.

If you want to hook up to the headphone jack THIS is a pretty good amplifier.

If your TV has BlueTooth you can use THIS one

Speaker wise the little MICA speakers do a pretty good job, or if you also want music quality the
ELAC
speakers are a good choice.

Well... my plan... which can be changed because just very early stages... was to do 2-way speakers plus a sub.

That Dayton SPA250 looks like it powers the sub and a pair of speakers. Bit pricier than I was thinking but, I see a few cheaper options.

I guess I would go from the TV to the low-level inputs, and from there the low-level outputs to the floor speakers?

Then the speakers, something similar in appearance to the solstice kits I've seen for sale. Mid and a tweeter, 2 or 3 speakers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That Dayton SPA250 looks like it powers the sub and a pair of speakers.

That only powers the woofer. If you are looking for cheap, Solen is usually not the place. If cheap is important i might be able to help email me.

2.1 channel amp boards are available, some diy needed. 2.1 plate amps are much rarer. We had to modify the one we got to make it sound decent.

dave

I posted elsewhere, asking almost the same, but if there were a class-d amp board or similar that had HDMI/ARC and 0 response to that.

Very surprised that with all the DIY these days, there isn't anything like that around.

My plan was to find a 2.1 sound bar with a bit more power and maybe rough shape (cheaper) and do just that... yank the guts out and replace the speakers and replace/mod the crossover.

Mine sounds fine, be great for the family room... rather not tear it apart. Plus I can use it while building the new one. I just need something with a bit more range, fuller sound... plus looks better.

Well... my plan... which can be changed because just very early stages... was to do 2-way speakers plus a sub.

That Dayton SPA250 looks like it powers the sub and a pair of speakers. Bit pricier than I was thinking but, I see a few cheaper options.

I guess I would go from the TV to the low-level inputs, and from there the low-level outputs to the floor speakers?

Then the speakers, something similar in appearance to the solstice kits I've seen for sale. Mid and a tweeter, 2 or 3 speakers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Do not buy trash .... you will regret how it happened to me.
It is the most unreliable board amp of all ....
And if you think you will have help from technical support in the event of a problem, forget it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.