Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Mobility Scooter Batteries.
Mobility Scooter Batteries.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2020, 06:15 AM   #1
redrooster is offline redrooster  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Mobility Scooter Batteries.

I'm replacing the two 12v deep-cycle batteries on my Mobility scooter but I want it to go fairly fast if possible? It has a Curtis 24v, 110a controller and a CM808-001C electric motor, I don't know how many Watts it's supposed to rate? I suspect it's around 600W. So what would be the best batteries to use? Sealed Lead Acid, Lithium, etc... It's only used to go to the shops within a 1-mile radius when I'm picking up something heavy or doing a big shop. I gave my 4x4 to my daughter and get around on a bike now to keep fit.
Old 15th March 2020, 11:49 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I always fit Lead Acid Sealed Gel batteries of the correct size to customers repairs in my Mobility shop. Lithium seem a good idea, smaller for the same power but so expensive.
Old 15th March 2020, 03:15 PM   #3
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Lithium batteries usually require a different charger!
Old 17th March 2020, 12:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Looks like its ordinary car batteries for better performance, I've done a bit of research and found that car batteries deliver a lot of Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) Ill just have to charge them up separately every time I use them.
Old 22nd March 2020, 05:56 PM   #5
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Looks like its ordinary car batteries for better performance
It's the supply voltage that sets the amount of power an electric motor will deliver to a given load. Using bigger (and heavier) car batteries - of the same voltage as the existing scooter batteries - won't deliver any more power, unless the existing battery is so weak that it's voltage drops severely under load.

In more technical terms, a motor has a parameters called "motor constants", and one of them, the voltage constant, (Kv) tells you how many RPM the motor will spin at per volt applied. If the Kv is, say, 1000 rpm/volt, the motor will spin at nominally 1000 rpm if powered by a 1 volt source, 2000 rpm if fed 2 volts, and so on. Two different 12-volt batteries will both produce the same motor speed, even if one battery has bigger CCA or capacity than the other.

What bigger-capacity, same-voltage batteries will do is extend the scooter's range. But from your first post, it didn't sound as though range was currently a problem, so this may not benefit you at all.

Bumping up the battery voltage (not CCA or capacity) might deliver more power, but it might also burn out your motor and motor control electronics, so I wouldn't recommend it. Not unless you're willing to sacrifice motors, electronics, and money in the quest for more speed.

I don't know enough about mobility-scooter electronics to offer more than that; if there is some sort of onboard governor or speed limiter to deliberately restrict top speed (for safety reasons), there may be some opportunity of hacking or modifying that for more performance.

An Internet search will turn up an online article about a mobility scooter that is so fast and powerful that it does wheelies, after being "upgraded" to 60-volt batteries instead of 24 volts. I doubt the motor or powertrain will last long with that level of abuse.

-Gnobuddy
Old 25th March 2020, 05:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for explaining and clearing this up for me, It's appreciated. Sorry about the late reply I've been distracted by this and that. lol
Old 25th March 2020, 03:04 PM   #7
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
...I've been distracted by this and that. lol
Geez, haven't we all? This crazy Coronavirus pandemic can take over every waking moment of your time if you give it half a chance.

And you're very welcome. I wouldn't want you to waste your money on car batteries that don't give you what you want!

-Gnobuddy
Old 26th March 2020, 02:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Don't get me started on what is really happening around the world these days. You can't believe anything on the Mainstream Media although you will find some truth on Bitchute, its an alternative to Youtube. Thanks for the advice mate its appreciated.

Mobility Scooter Batteries.Hide this!Advertise here!