Diy Show Stopper: supreme court sales tax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Our state sales tax is high; the playing field between local brick and mortar and internet sales is still pretty unequal, but at least making online retailers collect the tax helps to level it a little bit.

Ultimately, it has just made online prices go up. Mostly because of all the overhead associated with collecting and remitting the taxes. Back in the early days before the internet, many electronics distributors were “wholesale to dealers only” - the reason because they just weren't set up to jack-ace around with the sales taxes. Especially if they come with relatively small orders. Back in those days Digikey and Mouser were relatively small outfits with maybe a 25 page catalog. They charged tax in state only. MCM and Parts Express were among the first few who actually carried any real parts for amplifiers or speakers who broke the mold and offered general retail or wholesale sales. Just in state tax only without a tax ID. They were a welcome sight when McGee folded. Some time around when they started charging tax in all states, prices started ratcheting up.

I'm going around PayPal paying direct with vanilla card.
Most Rx stores have it.
Last time I used Ali they took it.

Attachments

• MyV_icons_GetStarted.png
    MyV_icons_GetStarted.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 106
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The thing that annoys me is that a lot of ebay sellers in coutries with VAT, do not remove the VAT when selling to overseas buyers.

If I buy from the UK then the seller should not include the VAT in the sale price, but they do (and I assume that becomes pure profit for them), and then I have to pay 10% GST on top of that as well.

Tony.

If sales tax is enough to topple your hobby budget, then you need a cheaper hobby. Taxes are the price you pay to live in a civilized society. Now, you can claim that you don't think the society around you is "civilized" but you get a chance, periodically, to change it.

Last I checked, you could deduct sales tax on your federal tax return in the US. You can either save the receipts and do the math, or you can claim a standard deduction that's based on your income.
I haven't had to mess with that since 2015 when I moved out, so the rules could have changed.

Tom

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The thing that annoys me is that a lot of ebay sellers in coutries with VAT, do not remove the VAT when selling to overseas buyers.

If I buy from the UK then the seller should not include the VAT in the sale price, but they do (and I assume that becomes pure profit for them), and then I have to pay 10% GST on top of that as well.

Tony.

That's really strange, I have never paid VAT on any purchases in the EU or UK, most things for personal purchases are not subject to much if any customs duty at this end. I usually contact them and ask for an invoice, or they have separate sales listings set up for people outside the EU.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.