Help with schematic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this tl081 acting as servo in this amplifier output?

$_57.JPG

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:cop: Moved to 'Everything Else'.

The opamp is configured as a simple inverting amplifier/mixer with a gain of 100k divided by 33k on each input (L and R). The input impedance is 33k.

The two diodes (which I assume were to be some kind of limiter) serve no purpose because there is never any measurable signal at that point... its a virtual earth mixer.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Of course it is not any sort of "servo". What does the sales-page call it?

It senses sustained DC from a Power amp and cuts-out a relay. Opamp gain is about 3. The inputs could be swinging 40V peak. Above 4V peak the "summing node" will be overwhelmed. While the TL0 input can take some abuse, the diodes are wise.

Q1 Q2 are a full-wave rectifier. Either + or - input here, over 0.6V (0.2V at amp) will turn-off Q3, open the relay.

C58 deemphasizes stuff over 2Hz (audio). C59 with 470k sets a 2+ second delay before cut-out to reduce false triggering.

Of course it is not any sort of "servo". What does the sales-page call it?

It senses sustained DC from a Power amp and cuts-out a relay. Opamp gain is about 3. The inputs could be swinging 40V peak. Above 4V peak the "summing node" will be overwhelmed. While the TL0 input can take some abuse, the diodes are wise.

Q1 Q2 are a full-wave rectifier. Either + or - input here, over 0.6V (0.2V at amp) will turn-off Q3, open the relay.

C58 deemphasizes stuff over 2Hz (audio). C59 with 470k sets a 2+ second delay before cut-out to reduce false triggering.

I agree. It looks for DC and protects speaker by disconnecting power.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> to eliminate dc component.

It disconnects the speaker when it sees "too much" DC.

"Too much" is roughly 0.2V for (I was *wrong* before) more than 0.2 seconds. (The 470k+100uFd is a turn-ON delay.)

0.1V of DC can happen forever.

A very strange condition: +1V on L and -1V on R will never be detected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.